• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee USMC Markings

Hummer Guy

Does anyone have any tips on putting these back on or is there some special sticker I can use for masking off the areas where I can easily paint it back?

I know its crazy, but I like the original look with the all the numbers & such, mines is faded very badly

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have2 USMC trucks and 1 has the numbers painted on and the other has stickers. Im pretty sure that the stickers came on it from when it was new. My other truck was reset in 2014 and I believe that’s when they painted them on

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On most USMC Humvees the markings are painted on, some had stickers but they tended to peel.

For unit repaint, the USMC stencil comes precut, with the letters closer together than can be done with brass stencils, and a different style M, but regular brass stencils are sometimes used. Number stencils are usually cut on a Marsh machine, but again, sometimes brass stencils are used.

A print shop should be able to make you a set of stencils, either on card, or something you can stick on, paint, and peel back off.
Letters and numbers are 2" tall, stroke width is 1/4"
The typeset/font for the USMC is MD Military Stencil
The typeset/font for the numbers is Stencil Gothic BE

On trucks produced/painted by Oshkosh, well they just do their own thing as regards style and location!
Cheers

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As others have stated, I've seen stickers and paint. M813rc was in the USMC, I believe, so I'd defer to him. If you go with paint, which is what I plan to go with (since they is how they are applied on my M1165A1), you may want to research PAINT MASK. I have used this product previously purchased from Rick Larsen with excellent results. It basically amounts to applying a removable sticker (with your numbers cut out) to your truck and spray-painting the sticker. The numbers will be left once you peel off the sticker. I probably am not describing it well. You can search on YouTube.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I was a Marine. I was always interested in accurately documenting markings because I was a model builder in my youth.
My sons were also Marines. Son-the-elder was a combat engineer and heavy truck driver (LVSR MKR-16) with 1st CEB, so I was allowed access to his motor pool on Camp Pendleton several times to document current markings. I have also spent some time in the Transportation Museum on Camp P, talking with their staff and documenting the older vehicle markings.

I meant to attach the marking example below to my first post, sorry! Also a picture of my boy and his truck. They get the title Dragon Master when they complete training on those trucks, for good reason!

Cheers

Stencil fonts 3.jpg DC and MKR-16-M870.jpg

Last edited:

LTbobtuna

Yes, I was a Marine. I was always interested in accurately documenting markings because I was a model builder in my youth.
My sons were also Marines. Son-the-elder was a combat engineer and heavy truck driver (LVSR MKR-16) with 1st CEB, so I was allowed access to his motor pool on Camp Pendleton several times to document current markings. I have also spent some time in the Transportation Museum on Camp P, talking with their staff and documenting the older vehicle markings.

I meant to attach the marking example below to my first post, sorry! Also a picture of my boy and his truck. They get the title Dragon Master when they complete training on those trucks, for good reason!

Cheers

View attachment 872733 View attachment 872738
is there a way to identify the markings on my humvee m1123 im finding my self wondering the history of it but cant find anything that will guide me in "decoding" the markings

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
is there a way to identify the markings on my humvee m1123 im finding my self wondering the history of it but cant find anything that will guide me in "decoding" the markings
Welcome to the SS forums, post pics of the markings you have.

LTbobtuna

Welcome to the SS forums, post pics of the markings you have.
heres some of the ones i dont understand i believe the s/c carc z is the type of paint and when if im not mistaken the rest no clue

Attachments

CapePrep

Sorry to piggy back this thread, but seems to be some knowledgable people here. Wondering what this symbol on mine is?

Attachments

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
heres some of the ones i dont understand i believe the s/c carc z is the type of paint and when if im not mistaken the rest no clue
i asked the same question when my one was now in my garage

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
USMC 606363 is the serial number and VIN for your vehicle. On your truck these have been applied with non-standard stencils.

The marking on the front right of your hood is a partial Embarkation Code
There should be a C/C at the top, which stands for Condition Code, but I can't read what is there. This indicates what maintenance level the vehicle is currently at, for example C/C A means a fully operational, fully deployable vehicle, C/C F means that regardless of condition the type is being phased out of service and nothing will be spent on repairs if it breaks.
There is a partial NSN (National Stock Number) for your vehicle, in your case it should read 2320-01-455-9593. This is the type number used for parts and inventory purposes
There is usually a REC and date, which indicates when the current/last owning unit received that vehicle, looks like June 2017 for your truck .

There should be a UIC (Unit Identifier Code) somewhere on the sides, and possibly on the back, of your truck. On Humvees it is usually somewhere under the door openings. It will be an M followed by five numbers, example M21640. If you can find that, I have a list I can look it up on, it will tell us which unit last owned your vehicle..

The S/C CARC Z is interesting, I'm not sure what the Z means. Truck was last completely painted January 2013

Cheers

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to piggy back this thread, but seems to be some knowledgable people here. Wondering what this symbol on mine is?
Chemical unit, judging by the beakers, looks like a dragon holding them. Possibly the Army 2nd or 22nd Chemical Battalion? Their crests have a dragon.
The only reason I know those two is that they were on Fort Hood, where I used to consult for the Army. (I think 22nd was actually based at Fort Bliss, but were at Fort Hood for the training)

Cheers

Last edited:

LTbobtuna

USMC 606363 is the serial number and VIN for your vehicle. On your truck these have been applied with non-standard stencils.

The marking on the front right of your hood is a partial Embarkation Code
There should be a C/C at the top, which stands for Condition Code, but I can't read what is there. This indicates what maintenance level the vehicle is currently at, for example C/C A means a fully operational, fully deployable vehicle, C/C F means that regardless of condition the type is being phased out of service and nothing will be spent on repairs if it breaks.
There is a partial NSN (National Stock Number) for your vehicle, in your case it should read 2320-01-455-9593. This is the type number used for parts and inventory purposes
There is usually a REC and date, which indicates when the current/last owning unit received that vehicle, looks like June 2017 for your truck .

There should be a UIC (Unit Identifier Code) somewhere on the sides, and possibly on the back, of your truck. On Humvees it is usually somewhere under the door openings. It will be an M followed by five numbers, example M21640. If you can find that, I have a list I can look it up on, it will tell us which unit last owned your vehicle..

The S/C CARC Z is interesting, I'm not sure what the Z means. Truck was last completely painted January 2013

Cheers

amazing information ty do you have any pictures that show locations i should be looking

CapePrep

Chemical unit, judging by the beakers, looks like a dragon holding them. Possibly the Army 2nd or 22nd Chemical Battalion? Their crests have a dragon.
The only reason I know those two is that they were on Fort Hood, where I used to consult for the Army. (I think 22nd was actually based at Fort Bliss, but were at Fort Hood for the training)

Cheers
I think you are correct on location since I know it came out of Hood! Thank you very much!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
do you have any pictures that show locations i should be looking
Here are some pictures from my older son's motor pool on Camp Pendleton a few years ago. M11400 is the UIC for 1st CEB (combat engineers)
The side marking is in the most common place on Humvees.

When I referred to your stencils as "non-standard", the Humvee and M1008 show what "standard" USMC stencils look like. Note in particular the style of the M.
The font for the USMC is MD Military Stencil, the numbers are Stencil Gothic BE. The size is 2" tall with 1/4 stroke.
You will, however, often see markings that have been repainted at a unit level, and done with either brass stencils or a stencil cutter, so the USMC is done in the Stencil Gothic. This will be corrected the next time the vehicle gets a complete repaint.
The embarkation codes are done in 1" and cut on a Marsh machine at the unit level. Thus they tend to vary a bit from the standard, and also get changed from time to time.

The fourth picture is included just for fun as it is one of my favourite non-standard markings!

Cheers

dscf3820.jpg dscf3825.jpg DSCF4524 M1008.jpg Finders keepers.jpg

Last edited:

LTbobtuna

Here are some pictures from my older son's motor pool on Camp Pendleton a few years ago. M11400 is the UIC for 1st CEB (combat engineers)
The side marking is in the most common place on Humvees.

When I referred to your stencils as "non-standard", the Humvee and M1008 show what "standard" USMC stencils look like. Note in particular the style of the M.
The font for the USMC is MD Military Stencil, the numbers are Stencil Gothic BE. The size is 2" tall with 1/4 stroke.
You will, however, often see markings that have been repainted at a unit level, and done with either brass stencils or a stencil cutter, so the USMC is done in the Stencil Gothic. This will be corrected the next time the vehicle gets a complete repaint.
The embarkation codes are done in 1" and cut on a Marsh machine at the unit level. Thus they tend to vary a bit from the standard, and also get changed from time to time.

The fourth picture is included just for fun as it is one of my favourite non-standard markings!

Cheers

View attachment 918062 View attachment 918063 View attachment 918065 View attachment 918066

i wonder if i am missing any due to it being a armored version that had the armor removed prior to auction?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks