• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee won’t pull large tree but f350 does

tauteur

I’ve been having problems with power and my number m1123 running . I put an electric fuel pump on after mechanical fuel pump failed for some reason , and the replacement also refused to work. There was a fuel filter that we put on before the electrical pump. we took off the aftermarket fuel filter and it seems to be running better now, but I still feel like it lacks power.

tell me this, I have 2006 turbo diesel f350. There was a big tree I started pulling with the Humvee. If I get a running start the Humvee would pull the tree for a few feet, then lose power and fail to pull it. Then when I hooked the f350 to the tree, it pulled.

so my question is, am I still lacking power in the Humvee? Maybe the electric fuel pump is too weak… or is the f350 really a stronger truck?

Wildland

Different trucks. Take your humvee to the off road park, or just boondock, find the steepest mudiest hill you can find, put your humvee in low-lock and engage your lockers and it will impress you Im very sure.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

CapePrep

Why are you not putting it back to stock with the mechanical pump and use the filters as they were designed and put on 300K trucks? Dont' try to reinvent the wheel. Many millions of dollars were spent on the design of these rigs and they work perfectly that way. You need to do more diagnostics and stop guessing on problems.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were you in low with the transfer case and low with the tranny?

Something is not working properly.

Firemanmike69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That f350 came with 325/570 hp/tq from the factory vs the 160/290 from the M1123 so not really a fair comparison. But still sounds like something is up, truck should be able to spin the tires. When you say it loses power does the engine RPM drop or does it just feel like the truck comes out of gear ?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 mechanical pumps failed/didn't work, and only with an electric pump and aftermarket fuel filter...
to me sounds like you have a restriction in the fuel system. The usual culprit is the fuel check valves in the supply/return lines just in front of the fuel tank becoming clogged up and passing little/no fuel.

Have you opened up the fuel tank to see what it looks like inside?

After that, depending on what electric fuel pump you installed, it might have a higher pressure than the mechanical pump did, and you're just covering up the issue. This could also lead to issues with the fuel injection pump.

With as low as the gearing is on the HMMWV, there shouldn't be any reason that it would be unable to pull a tree that it can move around by jerking on it.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel check valve, fuel tank sock, old weak fuel line that collapses under vacuum, wrong low flowing fuel pump, etc, etc, etc…

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That f350 came with 325/570 hp/tq from the factory vs the 160/290 from the M1123 so not really a fair comparison. But still sounds like something is up, truck should be able to spin the tires. When you say it loses power does the engine RPM drop or does it just feel like the truck comes out of gear ?
And depending on the configuration of both vehicles, the Ford may have nearly twice the weight as well.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No way a HMMWV with between 5&6:1 relative gear ratio plus functioning transfer case in low would be unable to pull the tree stump or the F350 unless something is wrong.

Hummer Guy

Why are you not putting it back to stock with the mechanical pump and use the filters as they were designed and put on 300K trucks? Dont' try to reinvent the wheel. Many millions of dollars were spent on the design of these rigs and they work perfectly that way. You need to do more diagnostics and stop guessing on problems.
Guess we can say those millions of dollars done good on making the glowplug smartbox bulletproof...

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HummerH1 just used his n/a to pull a stump. Looked ridiculously easy.

Last edited:

Hummer Guy

Yea I've pushed my BRDM 2 around which had flat tires, it done it with ease. I don't see how its bogging down while pulling a stump. It sounds like the fuel lines can possibly be clogged. If it was me, I'll redo the whole fuel system and clean the tank out. There's probably algae in your fuel system which can really clog things up badly. You'll most likely have to drop the tank and completely clean it out. The additives would only just send the algae directly to your lines and filter and keep clogging them until it eventually burns it all out or simply just clog your lines completely.

My recommendation, drop the tank, clean it, and treat it from algae growth returning. This was a pretty good video on a humvee having the same issue with fuel system cloggage from algae:

87cr250r

If you have algae it means you have water. Good luck getting the water out without a bottom drain. The additives don't make more algae. They simply don't get rid of what is already there. The algae lives at the interface of water and fuel in a very thin layer. There isn't much of it because the layer is so thin. The problem is that it reproduces and then dies. The dead stuff settles at the bottom of your tank where your pickups are. You can't kill it more with additives.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks