• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvees in boneyard--------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentinel

There are 52 Hummers just a couple of miles away from me, but they will not sell without them being crushed up (by the buyer) before they leave the auction lot. They did the same with with about 200 BRAND NEW helostat trailers 6 months back. Broke my heart to see my tax dollars just rendered into scrap metal by a track hoe with a shear on the boom.

Stoner63

The Govt. could get back a lot of money by selling off this equipment to civilians like they do trucks. I see them selling fired brass in 5.56 and 7.62 bringing $2500 to $4000 per lot which is higher than scrap brass prices. you would not believe the Helicopters they cut up for scrap instead of selling them off to the civilian market.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There are 52 Hummers just a couple of miles away from me, but they will not sell without them being crushed up (by the buyer) before they leave the auction lot. They did the same with with about 200 BRAND NEW helostat trailers 6 months back. Broke my heart to see my tax dollars just rendered into scrap metal by a track hoe with a shear on the boom.
I edited your post to remove the details of it. Please do not post upcoming auction details.

The government doesn't care what it gets off selling surplus. The government also doesn't care about the cost of new hardware.

lazybum

Just shows your tax dollar at work and lack of respect of the American public. The bottom line is the US Government does not want nor trust civilians owning any thing that has the potential to be used against it.
Land of the FEE, Home of the SLAVE

Just my opinion.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just shows your tax dollar at work and lack of respect of the American public. The bottom line is the US Government does not want nor trust civilians owning any thing that has the potential to be used against it.
Land of the FEE, Home of the SLAVE

Just my opinion.
Sorry but that opinion is based more in feelings than facts. The real reason HMMWVs aren't easily obtainable is the strongarming AM General/Hummer did via the government to prevent a conflict of their markets.

The government has long since blocked the sales of armored vehicles though. But that spans back to the 50's. You can buy as many 2.5T's 5T's, CUCV's, Trailers, surplus parts, exc. as your pocket book allows.

quickfarms

Sorry but that opinion is based more in feelings than facts. The real reason HMMWVs aren't easily obtainable is the strongarming AM General/Hummer did via the government to prevent a conflict of their markets.
I would truly like to know where this is written. If it is law or policy you can lobby your senators and congressmen to reverse it. If it is part if the contract then you have a legal issue and AM General, or there successor, would have to release it but but due to fear of product liability I do not think this would ever happen.

Now if you want to get upset at the government look at the armored 5 tons and other vehicles in which everything has to be destroyed. There is no reason to destroy the drivetrain components. This is just a result of bureaucratic drones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks