• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydramatic rear servo/band setup

68FB

Where are you getting rebuild kits from?
I bought the rebuild kits and frictions from Kingomatic in Toronto because of the quick delivery. I wasn't too impressed. In all my searching for parts, I was impressed by autotran.us. I would try them next time.

The civvy kits that these companies supply are missing some key gaskets and seals that are specific to the military Hydramatics, like the rear output shaft seal, the gaskets for the shared oil pump suction piping, and the critical cooler seals. I've just ordered a G749-specific gasket kit from Brian Asbury, brian.asbury02 at gmail.com.

Malcolm

1944mb

Malcolm,
I haven't rebuilt one of these yet, but I called fastco just in an attempt to see how available parts were. http://www.fatsco.net/
The fella I spoke to, used to build these transmissions in their shop. I didn't mention what is was in but asked about parts for the reduction unit and he immeadiately knew it was in a g749. So what I'm trying to say is he knew exactly what I was working on. He was gonna see about sending their cores to me, as they don't have much call for these trucks, but he tore them down and they were all burnt up. I figured freight from NJ probably wasn't worth it. At any rate, welcome and awesome videos. Everyone is scared to death of these transmissions, so its good to see one torn down. Gotta ask....got any pics of your tank? Also keep us posted on the specific gaskets. Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:

68FB

Gotta ask....got any pics of your tank? Also keep us posted on the specific gaskets. Thanks,
Ben
Ben, the tank belongs to the Ontario Regiment Museum in Oshawa. I volunteer and this is my latest project. The Caddy V8's run well but the trannies were really acting up. The one in the videos was slipping as I mentioned, and I found the clutches were shot in the front unit in the other one, and the cooler was really dodgy. Looks like someone got carried away pressure testing it because the cooler doesn't see any pressure in the tranny. It's on the inlet side of the pumps.

Malcolm

.DSC00494.jpgDSC00512x.jpgDSC00513x.jpg

1944mb

The cooler wouldn't by chance of had water, rather than coolant in it and froze? Yeah there doesn't look like much friction material is left on those...Are you looking for other M24 people to talk to? I only ask cause one used to sit at a concrete plant by a farm that I grew up on. A fellow called me one day, long after we had moved off and was asking about it(how he knew I lived there I have no idea-maybe through the MVPA). He told me that he had two chassis's and was looking for that one to complete the two projects via parts. I know nothing about armor-so I never even noticed it. It was just the chassis he said. I did keep his number as he was always running across military vehicles, in particular jeeps and I check in every now and again. About the only tank I remember from WWII is the Sherman and thats cause of the name the tankers gave it--"Lights the first time, every time." -Which was the motto for a Ronson cigarette lighter. Haha, definitely not re-assuring.

What is different in the gaskets that you ordered from Brian Asbury?r I'd really like to rebuild one of these, but will be okay if my truck's tranny is good :). Thanks for sharing

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks