• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic head fuel leak

sigley89

Last summer, 2019, we were cruising around in the M35A2 when stopped at a light it died. It’s never done it before so started it back up and the light turned green and then drove off. No issues after that until we stopped in a parking lot and turned it off. We ate and went to start it up and wouldn’t fire. Found a fuel leak at the hydraulic head and the injection pump. It was a very strong stream (arterial kinda leak). We had a guy driving a Subaru Outback stop by to check the deuce out and he was willing to “pull start” the deuce. Put it in 3rd and while rolling popped the clutch. Started up and ran but needed the throttle pulled out or the peddle to the floor to idle and drive. Made it home and parked it.

Winter came and went and now spring is here, I took the hydraulic head off and replaced the 2 O-rings on the HH. The old ones look brand new but replaced them anyway. Got it back together and same issue but less of a leak, but still bad enough it won’t fire. Is this something someone has run into before? In the attached picture, it is leaking in the big red circle under line #6 and to the right of the bolt. The smaller circle is an Allen head type of screw and it kinda seems to be leaking out of it. The Allen screw looks like it has a hole. Could that be my problem?
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

sigley89

***UPDATE***

it looks like the hole in my allen plug is the issue. See attached image65203C48-67BB-4890-8B5D-70C7646B9218.jpeg
So now my question is does anyone have a spare they’d be willing to give me or sell to me?

davidb56

thats drilled. PM " Rustystud" and ask him about it. maybe there is a ball and spring behind it or its a vent, but it looks intentional, not a defect.

ToddJK

When my delivery valve bolt (that's the star pattern bolt sticking out of the HH) got a crack in it, I emailed TNJ Murray, Eric's Surplus, Eastern Surplus, and few others. TNJ Murray are the ones who got a hold of me and found one as these don't seem to be a common thing, lol. If that Allen screw is defective, I'd email them with a picture and see what turns up.

*Edit*
I'd also ask @Rusty Stud about it, as I have never removed that screw, like Davidb56 said, could be another part that was involved that was lost or something.

rustystud

That plug has the hole in it to hold in place what I call a "stopper" . It has a stem that fits in that hole aligning it to the pump housing. There should have been that stopper when you pulled out that plug.
With the amount of pressure behind that plug there is no way to keep that truck running.
In all honesty I don't know how you could have had that stopper missing all this time. That is straight pump pressure to the injectors. Someone had to have removed the stopper.
There are six of these plugs. They are there to plug the holes left after drilling out the hydraulic head for the six injectors. With all that pressure the manufacturer incorporated that extra stopper to hold back pressure of the pump. Here's a picture showing the stopper (left) and the plug with the stopper installed (right) .
hydraulic head plugs.jpg

Last edited:

ToddJK

That plug has the hole in it to hold in place what I call a "stopper" . It has a stem that fits in that hole aligning it to the pump housing. There should have been that stopper when you pulled out that plug.
With the amount of pressure behind that plug there is no way to keep that truck running.
In all honesty I don't know how you could have had that stopper missing all this time. That is straight pump pressure to the injectors. Someone had to have removed the stopper.
There are six of these plugs. They are there to plug the holes left after drilling out the hydraulic head for the six injectors. With all that pressure the manufacturer incorporated that extra stopper to hold back pressure of the pump. Here's a picture showing the stopper (left) and the plug with the stopper installed (right) .
View attachment 881125
Is that stopper made of steel? Is it possible that stem can break off and the plug floating within the HH?

rustystud

Is that stopper made of steel? Is it possible that stem can break off and the plug floating within the HH?
Sorry I haven’t gotten back to you. I’m in North Carolina right now visiting my son.
Yes that stem can break off and twist in it’s bore.
I’d send you one but it will be about a week before I get home and can look for it.
They are made of hardened steel.

ToddJK

Sorry I haven’t gotten back to you. I’m in North Carolina right now visiting my son.
Yes that stem can break off and twist in it’s bore.
I’d send you one but it will be about a week before I get home and can look for it.
They are made of hardened steel.
No problem Rusty, I was just wondering in case if I had that problem, help me understand what's going on. I won't need one, at least not right now, sigley89 is the one who would need it should you or Gimpy find one.

sigley89

Has anyone used the the NEW Reproduction Hydraulic Head for the M35A2 multifuel truck with the LDT465 motor? There is one on ebay for $500

Link to HH

I have someone on Facebook willing to sell a used one for $400 but if the reproduction ones are solid and have no issues id spend the extra $100 and get that one.

DaneGer21

Has anyone used the the NEW Reproduction Hydraulic Head for the M35A2 multifuel truck with the LDT465 motor? There is one on ebay for $500

Link to HH

I have someone on Facebook willing to sell a used one for $400 but if the reproduction ones are solid and have no issues id spend the extra $100 and get that one.
You should definitely be able to find a HH for less than $400…hopefully

87cr250r

These guys sell OEM parts for all major pump manufacturers. I would start with them.

sigley89

These guys sell OEM parts for all major pump manufacturers. I would start with them.

Dead link unfortunately. Maybe their site is down.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Link to HH

Is that a Chinese reproduction. The only reason I ask is there are 87 of them available. Some have bought the ones from China and had no problem with them.

ToddJK

Is that a Chinese reproduction. The only reason I ask is there are 87 of them available. Some have bought the ones from China and had no problem with them.
Didn't they change the design on the plunger for the button, so it doesn't fall off as easily?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks