• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic Tank Sight Glass replacement

lurkMcGurk

So I chased down the NSN number for both the hydraulic tank sightglass and the combined sight glass and Gasket NSN. Like many such searches I got nowhere. Each of my tanks had begun to weep both the hydraulic fluid, and the oil the gov put in those tanks and lines. Basically looked like this note it drains past the glass
1688841370285.png note the lighter area below I wiped clean from hydraulic oil and the cracked glass/plastic. ANYWAYS The Teenager takes a look and asks me why I don't just replace it and I explain the dilemma. He tells me to give him the measurements and he will 3D print it! . He determines the gasket will be TPU printed rubber, its oil resistant. The sightglass will be PLA transparent plastic, oil and UV resistant. I look online and confirm that appears to be the case. So we set off and he makes three prototypes to check fits and level his machine
1688841838923.png 1688842030473.png and here is the final Sight glass and Rubber gasket1688841940028.png I sized the screw holes with the metal faceplate and drilled the size and filled the fluid up to level,,,, voila!
1688842069394.png Now being a fantastic parent (and slightly jealous of his problem solving) I pointed out it wasn't perfectly transparent. We had a good laugh, and now I'm paying him for the three other gaskets and sight glasses. Good !Times

Edit note. we agreed on $5 a glass and $3 a gasket, I suppose i win as there were no shipping charges? also said if anyone else wants one for the same he can do that too. May want to wait and see how everything holds up but looks good so far and reminded him this is a pretty mechanically inclined bunch of UNIMOG owners! If anyone is interested I'll put something in the classified section, Cheers

Last edited:

DirtDevil01

So I chased down the NSN number for both the hydraulic tank sightglass and the combined sight glass and Gasket NSN. Like many such searches I got nowhere. Each of my tanks had begun to weep both the hydraulic fluid, and the oil the gov put in those tanks and lines. Basically looked like this note it drains past the glass
View attachment 901147 note the lighter area below I wiped clean from hydraulic oil and the cracked glass/plastic. ANYWAYS The Teenager takes a look and asks me why I don't just replace it and I explain the dilemma. He tells me to give him the measurements and he will 3D print it! . He determines the gasket will be TPU printed rubber, its oil resistant. The sightglass will be PLA transparent plastic, oil and UV resistant. I look online and confirm that appears to be the case. So we set off and he makes three prototypes to check fits and level his machine
View attachment 901148 View attachment 901151 and here is the final Sight glass and Rubber gasketView attachment 901150 I sized the screw holes with the metal faceplate and drilled the size and filled the fluid up to level,,,, voila!
View attachment 901152 Now being a fantastic parent (and slightly jealous of his problem solving) I pointed out it wasn't perfectly transparent. We had a good laugh, and now I'm paying him for the three other gaskets and sight glasses. Good !Times

Edit note. we agreed on $5 a glass and $3 a gasket, I suppose i win as there were no shipping charges? also said if anyone else wants one for the same he can do that too. May want to wait and see how everything holds up but looks good so far and reminded him this is a pretty mechanically inclined bunch of UNIMOG owners! If anyone is interested I'll put something in the classified section, Cheers
Good Morning lurkMcGurk, I didn't see a listing in the classified section for the sight glass & gasket, please let me know if you created a classified or dm me, I would like to get a few. Thanks!

Guyfang

Staff member
Just a reminder. If you are going to go into biz selling things, you need to look at the forum rules on how to go about that.

Oh, said teenager, did great work!

DirtDevil01

Just a reminder. If you are going to go into biz selling things, you need to look at the forum rules on how to go about that.

Oh, said teenager, did great work!
Hello Guyfang,
I went to the rules and its seems like its ok, but I'm new to the group and trying to repair my 419 and this was the only repair thread about this issue.
Below is copied from the forum rules:
"It is OK to post an item for sale if it is done in an effort to help another member or if the need for a part comes up during the course of a restoration or repair thread.
Example 1: Member A posts that their Deuce is broken down and they believe it is due to a faulty in-tank pump. Member B may post that he has a used transfer pump for sale for $XX and to PM if interested. "
If i'm incorrect in the reading of the rules please let me know. TYIA

lurkMcGurk

Hello Gents, yes I had two have a slow leak and they need some tweaking. I did note the screws on the faceplate were not all original and that may be part of the issue. The boy said he'd print up some thicker ones so once spring gets here I'll try those out to make sure they work. Also I'll go read the forum rules if we get to that point, keep you posted. Cheers

DirtDevil01

Hello Gents, yes I had two have a slow leak and they need some tweaking. I did note the screws on the faceplate were not all original and that may be part of the issue. The boy said he'd print up some thicker ones so once spring gets here I'll try those out to make sure they work. Also I'll go read the forum rules if we get to that point, keep you posted. Cheers
Maybe a combo of Permatex Ultra Black on each side of the gasket might help :) I think my sight glass is ok, I really think its just the gasket, would you happen to have the dimensions of the gasket? My 419 is currently out of state and if I had the dimensions then I could probably cut out the gasket from stock material. TYIA

Guyfang

Staff member
You posted:
Hello Guyfang,
I went to the rules and its seems like its ok, but I'm new to the group and trying to repair my 419 and this was the only repair thread about this issue.
Below is copied from the forum rules:
"It is OK to post an item for sale if it is done in an effort to help another member or if the need for a part comes up during the course of a restoration or repair thread.
Example 1: Member A posts that their Deuce is broken down and they believe it is due to a faulty in-tank pump. Member B may post that he has a used transfer pump for sale for $XX and to PM if interested. "
If i'm incorrect in the reading of the rules please let me know. TYIA

I posted: Just a reminder. If you are going to go into biz selling things, you need to look at the forum rules on how to go about that.

If someone goes into biz selling things on the forum. they need to upgrade their membership to paying member. And the buying and selling in an open thread is not allowed.

This reminder was for LurkMcGurk.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks