• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I’m looking for M1101 camper conversion.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m looking for ideas for M1101 camper conversion.

I have an M1101 with a fiberglass top with rear facing doors. I’m looking to create an off the grid camper to pull behind my M1025.

I’ll get better pics later but here is the idea of what I’ve got.

Attachments

coachgeo

looks like one could not stand in that trailer. In such situations IMHO design the whole thing like one would be designing something for a wheelchair user. Use a rollling chair inside yourself. Aka.. design it so you actually NEVER have to stand up. You have to really think outside the box when it comes to designing the kitchen.. like needing to roll legs under counter so you can reach cooking surface (or pull the counter out over your lap on drawer pulls?) .. yet.... NOT have remote chance of spilling hot water etc. onto your lap. (wear thick rubber apron?) Honestly though.. in small campers.... cooking inside the camper w/out amazing ventilation turns the whole camper into a stinky unbearably hot coffin feeling for the chef. So hot that it basically created the "outdoor cooking" norm of today's smaller camper persona. The portable grill industry never complained about that.

few samples- A 404 Unimog with Com box (Radio Box). They had two chairs that swiveled? and slid a limited amount side to side on a track; they never stood up.... never needed too. A fellow (which inspired my concept of designing like it was for a wheel chair user) took a Unimog 404 with Com. box and put in a bar stool in the center-ish. He designed everything to be in reach of that stool. Again.... never had to stand up.

some other ideas can be found in the travel trailers of the 70's when fuel prices where high. For more aerodynamics they kept the trailer roof low various ways..... such as dropping floor (doubled as entry stair well and stand up shower space). Another way they did it was to only one area right down the middle that was raised for standing. Yet another way experimented with was to have area over kitchen a pop up top so could stand to cook. Pulled down for travel. Might could design a floor that lowers in kitchen area for standing??

yeah I got real heavy into researching this long ago cause I had a 404 with a Com. box myself.

Last edited:

coachgeo

with pop top in mind.... how about a whole pop up shell. Here is this to spark ideas

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m thinking external fold out kitchen with thick tent like covering for Winter. Maybe just a wood burning external stove with roll-out cover OR a plywood foldout cover with fabric walls for rain.

Maybe a poptop tent. Diesel Webasto. Compost toilet and external tent for that. Solar panels. Water and grey water and storage ideas welcome.

Last edited:

johnnydcope

This is what I fabricated a couple of years ago...selling now. Here's some of the build out:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks