• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I’m new here! I don’t know what I’m doing.

RedNBlue

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello! I’ve been stalking the forums here off and on for a few years (Stealing some of your knowledge and admiring a lot of handy-work). I decided it’s time I actually join.

I just got a “new to me” M35A2. The previous owner’s father got it from its military retirement auction and indicated it’s a 1972. As best I can determine from comparing ID numbers on either side of mine, that seems to be correct. It didn’t have a title, so I’m going to be working on that and some Military Surplus Vehicle license plates. It’s had a few things changed and added by the previous owner, but my intention is to fix what needs to be fixed, remove most of the “extras” and make it green again. It looks to have originated in green, been given a desert theme at one point before retirement, and then a hodgepodge of black afterwards. I know I'm going to have my hands full at various points, but am excited about finally owning my own deuce and getting to make a project out of it.

Thanks for adding me to the group and for all the information I’ve already learned and from which I’ve already benefitted. There will be more to come in other threads!643F00C6-525C-4502-8C71-C621307AD15A.jpeg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome yeah looks like the previous owner got carried away with the train horns and flood lights. And questionable demands stenciled on the bumper given the 55 mph top speed. Army trucks are supposed to be inconspicuous at least in their natural habitat in the field.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello! I’ve been stalking the forums here off and on for a few years (Stealing some of your knowledge and admiring a lot of handy-work). I decided it’s time I actually join.

I just got a “new to me” M35A2. The previous owner’s father got it from its military retirement auction and indicated it’s a 1972. As best I can determine from comparing ID numbers on either side of mine, that seems to be correct. It didn’t have a title, so I’m going to be working on that and some Military Surplus Vehicle license plates. It’s had a few things changed and added by the previous owner, but my intention is to fix what needs to be fixed, remove most of the “extras” and make it green again. It looks to have originated in green, been given a desert theme at one point before retirement, and then a hodgepodge of black afterwards. I know I'm going to have my hands full at various points, but am excited about finally owning my own deuce and getting to make a project out of it.

Thanks for adding me to the group and for all the information I’ve already learned and from which I’ve already benefitted. There will be more to come in other threads!View attachment 865482
Download the TMs, familiarize yourself with your new truck.

Also... Black is beautiful...

20220416_185641.jpg

RedNBlue

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome yeah looks like the previous owner got carried away with the train horns and flood lights. And questionable demands stenciled on the bumper given the 55 mph top speed. Army trucks are supposed to be inconspicuous at least in their natural habitat in the field.
Agreed! I won’t expect to win any races, much less zip through traffic. The lights would put very questionable demands on the electrical system also, but those are the first and easiest things to come off. There’s not much inconspicuous about the sound, but it can at least look the part. I’ll keep the black as I cut and weld replacement pieces, just to prevent rust, but I think the original Forest Green is where I’ll end up… maybe. Black is growing on me a bit.

RedNBlue

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from michigan , did Virginia ever change their unfriendly MV laws?
Thanks! I’m not sure how “friendly” the laws are, but a bill was signed into law a couple of years ago that requires the state (commonwealth) to issue MSV “Military Surplus Vehicle” plates upon application. The trick will be the application and affidavit for a title, but I think I have all the required forms with a bill of sale and I should be good to go.
The MSV registration has restrictions similar to antiques and farm use, but will suit my needs just fine.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Rednblue that truck doesnt look to bad in black! As far as THAT lost feeling either download the TMs or buy a paper set from Patrick at Portrayal Press he is a good guy. The TMs are you gateway to learning everything about your truck! I cannot emphasize that enough! They explain all the systems and how they work then they explain everything about fixing/rebuilding /maintaining these systems once you start reading its always very hard for me to stop its a very real treasure trove of information. I truly live by my TMs.
You have a darned good looking truck (minus the nonsense) learning how to take care of the truck is just as important!

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks for adding me to the group and for all the information I’ve already learned and from which I’ve already benefitted. There will be more to come in other threads!View attachment 865482
It looks like you did well. Yes, some of the mods are a bit odd. The choice to replace the turn/marker lights with yet more forward facing lights caught my eye. To each their own, I try not to judge. The beautiful part is, now you can make it your own, just exactly how you want it. Good luck!

RedNBlue

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Rednblue that truck doesnt look to bad in black! As far as THAT lost feeling either download the TMs or buy a paper set from Patrick at Portrayal Press he is a good guy. The TMs are you gateway to learning everything about your truck! I cannot emphasize that enough! They explain all the systems and how they work then they explain everything about fixing/rebuilding /maintaining these systems once you start reading its always very hard for me to stop its a very real treasure trove of information. I truly live by my TMs.
You have a darned good looking truck (minus the nonsense) learning how to take care of the truck is just as important!
Thanks! The TMs are good reading and I have been learning a lot, but I’ve got hundreds of more pages to go. I’m not in any rush and I can apply my past experience operating and repairing fire apparatus for a lot of the basic stuff. These trucks are surprisingly simple in a lot of respects. That’s a good thing for me.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Well, glad to hear that we have useful stuff! Happy to see you join up and that you have a nice "new-to-you" truck too. Like several of the guys suggested, the TM's will be useful for sure. One called the Lube Order (LO) that will tell you how much and what kind of oil and grease should be used. The others have flow charts to walk you through troubleshooting.

Anyhow, Welcome to the Outfit!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

RedNBlue

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get "GTA-9-1-185 (1-8) Systematic Inspection Procedure for the 2 1/2 Ton Truck" also. And plan on coming to the Virginia Rally over the Labor Day weekend at the Graves Mountain Lodge in Syria, VA. about 30 miles north of Charlottesville.
Thanks for the invite! That manual was actually one of the first I found and read before I bought the deuce. I'm no stranger to truck maintenance, but I wanted to be prepared with as much info as possible when I went to see it for the first time. I did drive a little over 60 miles to get it home, but don't know that I would feel comfortable driving it as far as Syria just yet. I'm in Lovettsville, VA, the very furthest north you can get before hitting Maryland. I definitely need to secure a couple of leaks, replace some bald tires and make sure it's truly road-worthy before I undertake a trip like that. I would definitely like to do it and others like it in the future!

RedNBlue

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Northern Ohio! Nice lookin truck. Keep the train horn!
The stock horn is noticeable but surprisingly wimpy for such a truck. So, if I can relocate the train horn and perhaps conceal it, I like the idea of keeping it. Since the spacing behind the bumper is increased with the winch it may fit there.

RedNBlue

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're going to buy all new tires, get some recent surplus radials. You'll be far ahead, no pun intended.

DG
Thanks for the suggestion! That's exactly where I think I'm headed. I've been reading some forums and so on, and the idea of procuring some M35A3 wheels and singling up the rear axles with some larger radials seems like a good fit for me. I'm a little hesitant to go so large as the 395/85R20s as I've seen a lot of others do, but I've got time to sleep on it and ponder while I save some money. The previous owner already reversed the rear axle hubs, so that would help if I go that route.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks