• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I finally got some tunes!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal! Look forward to it...

I figured a CUCV or M880 would be a good candidate for a radio swap-in. Other MVs like the deuce, you just can't hear squat, no matter how loud a sound system you have.

AJMBLAZER

Big tires really help since the RPM's go down. When I put mine in with the 36's I had to positively crank the stereo to hear it. I dunno which was worse on the 3 hour trip to my folks'...the radio blaring or the engine roar. With the 38's I have it 10 volume settings lower...at least. I can hear AM radio stations now too...
...now to figure out an antenna mounting...

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

Eh, I never liked those in my civy K5. Not to mention if you get a rock chip or crack the windshields with the antennas are more expensive and rarer. Some auto glass places won't even try to find them.

I have a remote mount setup now just dangling from my d-side visor. Works good with FM and powerful AM signals but haven't decided where to actually mount it.

tklm539

In AJMBLAZER's picture there is a plug socket to the right (and below) of the steering wheel.

My m1009 has one, an I am driving around taking guesses as to what it is. I figured it was for the radio in the rear, but did not think m1008 would have it.

Sorry for the Hijack, but I saw the picture and figured I would ask

BobS

Sidebar note- I don't know how many know this, but the STE-ICE system was the forerunner to the OBD systems in use today, required by law on new vehicles.

Best regards,

Bob

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The windshield ones have always done well for me. Anything on the outside of the truck got ripped off in the woods anyway. Last one I bought wasn't but a few dollars more that the glass without. Nice side bonus is new glass, nothing nicer than new glass.

AJMBLAZER

Actually...aside from one minor scratch on mine...and a bit of overspray thanks to Alfa...the windshield in it is in wonderful shape. Don't feel like dropping an extra couple hundred for a new windshield.

Croatan_Kid

If I wake up early enough, I'll take a few pics in the morning. I would have put mine where AJM did, but I already had my CB right below that and my mic mount was on the block off plate....too many things in one spot. So I put mine in the dash, I still have to cut out the trim piece that goes in the dash, but it looks ok I think. I put two 6x9s behind the seat in boxes I got from WalMart and I have a Kenwood head unit with a USB input. As for an antenna, I went to Advance and got a stick on that you just mount on the rear glass. It works really good.

AJMBLAZER

The majority of the electrical system of the truck is standard 12 volt. You just need to tap into the available constant and switched 12v taps in the fuse block.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
AMJ,

I have one of the new SINCGARS antenna that is wire about the thickness of coat hanger wire.

Question is could this be used as the antenna for the am/fm stereo?

medlog

truck0590

I've been thinking of puting a stereo with LCD screen in the dash. the main reason is I would like to mount a backup camera on the back of my utility box. Using as a tow rig with the utility box on it there is no visibility and it is really hard to back a trailer.

Truck

AJMBLAZER

I've seen one of those radios with the big "flip out and up" screens installed in a GM of this vintage. However they installed it in the center of the dash so it wouldn't be interfering with the driver or the steering wheel. A bit custom but do-able.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks