• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I guess it's a LPW2, not a DN2M...

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are identical engines... Lister Petter built them both. DN2M is just the Onan part number for the LPW2. You will find almost no Onan badging anywhere on the engine, except occasionally a sticker. Anything you need for that engine, use LPW2 to find parts. They will be cheaper than the Onan badged equivalents.

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought it was curious. All my other units have "Onan" casted into the valve covers. I was surprised to see it branded Lister, even though it is.

When did production of the 802 and 803s end? Maybe they ran short of Onan branded parts and said screw it, and finished production with Lister produced parts.

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a really clean engine! Lister Petter valve covers and all....
Thanks, I'm excited to get this one running. It's very clean, 100% complete, newer model, and only 200 hrs.

Only thing I see wrong is the IP feed lines are falling apart, which is odd, but easy to fix.

Triple Jim

Anything you need for that engine, use LPW2 to find parts. They will be cheaper than the Onan badged
I believe that! The one time I tried to buy an exhaust Y pipe for an Onan generator the price I was quoted was in the hundreds of dollars. I said, "I can have one custom made for less than that!" The guy just said, "Oh, really?" I got some stock bends and welded it up myself.

cbisson

So I just went out to check. My 8/11 build date un-fielded unit with 28 hours (which I got from LITD with 7 hrs) indeed has Lister Petter marked valve covers.

My 7/09 build date with 702 hours (which I also got from LITD) has Onan marked valve covers.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I just went out to check. My 8/11 build date un-fielded unit with 28 hours (which I got from LITD with 7 hrs) indeed has Lister Petter marked valve covers.

My 7/09 build date with 702 hours (which I also got from LITD) has Onan marked valve covers.
Does that make you Bi? 2023 has me not knowing anything anymore :ROFLMAO:

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Confirmed, all markings on this engine are Lister Petter, no Onan marks anywhere. Gen is a 7/11 build.

20230830_205550.jpg20230829_203104.jpg

My next newest unit is a 12/09 build and it has Onan markings.
20230831_081046.jpg

Sidenote, but the fuel hose quality on these newer machines is terrible. The 2011 with 207 hrs was the worst, every line was leaking. My 1994 with 208 hrs is still running with OEM lines.

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sidenote, but the fuel hose quality on these newer machines is terrible.
I picked up a 2011 production 802 this week, threw the batteries in it after trying to revive them on the charger for a couple days (which... did not work... no shocker) and had enough power to run the fuel pump.

Not sure what else, but both feed hoses to the IPs were absolutely gushing fuel. I wasn't surprised by a leak, since that was noted in the auction (and obvious to anyone with vision or sense of smell) but wow, I wasn't expecting a JP-8 fountain!

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a 2011 production 802 this week, threw the batteries in it after trying to revive them on the charger for a couple days (which... did not work... no shocker) and had enough power to run the fuel pump.

Not sure what else, but both feed hoses to the IPs were absolutely gushing fuel. I wasn't surprised by a leak, since that was noted in the auction (and obvious to anyone with vision or sense of smell) but wow, I wasn't expecting a JP-8 fountain!

Did it look like this?
20230829_193908.jpg
20230830_183845.jpg

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did it look like this?
Nope, the feed hoses looked fine physically. I haven't really played with them to see if they're, like, cracked halfway through somewhere & the bend was hiding it, or if they were just splooshing around the IP barb. I just shrugged, ripped the rail off, and went about replacing all the rubber like I was planning to do anyway.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought it was curious. All my other units have "Onan" casted into the valve covers. I was surprised to see it branded Lister, even though it is.

When did production of the 802 and 803s end? Maybe they ran short of Onan branded parts and said screw it, and finished production with Lister produced parts.
My first 803a that had 5 hours and was never issued 2012 model had a 400hz tag on a 60hz machine so its possible

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks