• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have some questions, about my new 5ton.

Monty

I just picked up a 1958 5t, It needs some work to be road worthy so I have a few questions on getting all the information that I can about the truck.
Were can I find the TM's referenced on the data plate to get the information on the truck?
Since its a gas engine is it worth (better) to switch to a diesel and what is involed?
I looked back 17 pages and I've found a some information on the swap to a 5.9 cummings.
But what others can be swapped, Mulifuel?
What engines are recomended?

thanks for any and all help that can be given.
Chad

Attachments

Westech

CPL
Well We have most of the TM's for your truck posted here. look to your left and you will see "Technical Manuals" click on that and you should find everything you need. As engines go a Multi fuel would do very good in a truck like that. Good gas milage and good power for a bob'ed 5 ton and darn near a blot in.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a nice little pickup truck you have there! Does it run now, have you driven it at all? You might like it as it is. What do you want to use it for (anything in particular)? What kind of work does it need? BTW, I like it!

dirtyfingernails

Chad,
Nice truck! I like the keeper you have on it behind the cab. Could you post a picture from behind so I can see it better? I'm getting a bobbed M35A2 and would like to use a keeper like you've got. Thanks!
Steve

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, I'd keep the gasser since it probably turns better RPMs than a diesel would, and the truck is smaller than usual so should have enough power? Give it a chance, you might get attached to it.

Monty

I'll get some pics from the rear today and post them. It does run and drive but it needs a tune up timing fuel something, it sounds like its missing.
The wife was a little upset when I brought it home but after taking her and the kids for a drive around the property she was smiling.

Monty

As far as the swap I was just wondering for now and if it was possible, that way I can keep my eyes open for an engine case a good deal comes along. Plus I've been looking to try the biodiesel thing and make my own fuel.

Chad

m139h2otruck

Do a good tuneup and you will be impressed with the power and top speed. The gasser has more HP and FT# of torque than the multi and revs higher. Low speed performance is also good as it will lug under full load down to about 1,000 rpm with no problem. Mileage should be better than stock due to the lighter weight.

m139h2otruck

Another thing to remember, if you swap out for any other engine but a multi, the trans will also have to be updated to either an OD unit from an 800 series or some other sort of unit due to the rpm range of most diesels. A 5.9 Cummins mught work, but you would have to get a 215-225 HP unit to equal the gasser.

Westech

CPL
yeah but a tuned up Multi will get close to the power of that gasser and atleast double the milage! the Multi is only 300 rpm slower then the gasser and the Multi can keep the 2900 rpm till it runs out of fuel.. the gasser... well I would not keep that at 3200 rpm for hours and hours

Monty

Re: RE: I have some questions, about my new 5ton.

dirtyfingernails said:
Chad,
Nice truck! I like the keeper you have on it behind the cab. Could you post a picture from behind so I can see it better? I'm getting a bobbed M35A2 and would like to use a keeper like you've got. Thanks!
Steve
I hope this helps.
Chad

Attachments

Monty

DavidB said:
What TMs do you want I have some older five ton manuals. Not far to the south and work out of Franksville (WE).
I'm looking for;

TM 9-2320-211-10

TM 9-2320-211-12

TM 9-2320-211-20

TM 9-2320-211-34P

I'll look to see whats on this site but if anyone has the physical copys that would be great.

Chad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks