• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need to be schooled on ltmv rear tarp and bows

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, is it really that simple? Im on the Eastern site looking at the frame and i can build that in a few hours... They are asking $995 for that chunk of black pipe?????
If you make one, I would suggest making the horizontal support poles from either stainless or aluminum. That is what I want to do on mine one day. I have the (gen2?) style where it all disassembles. Some of the horizontal supports have bad rust spots. The straps that hold the tarp against the frame on the inside will also hold moisture and rub the paint, so it rusts where the straps go.

Rene M

If you make one, I would suggest making the horizontal support poles from either stainless or aluminum. That is what I want to do on mine one day. I have the (gen2?) style where it all disassembles. Some of the horizontal supports have bad rust spots. The straps that hold the tarp against the frame on the inside will also hold moisture and rub the paint, so it rusts where the straps go.
I was looking at aluminum and having pin in connections " male female" . i need to get a good example first.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the trailers have them three holes for the verticle pieces as well in the front, but I don't see how either type will go in the stowage area as there isn't room, even if disassembled.
The trucks have a separate compartment for the poles. The older style bows don't break down so you're stuck stacking them at the front of the bed but the newer style should fit in the compartment once disassembled.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Regarding the cover and frame, is it possible to shorten the cover for a FMTV to fit an LMTV? What are the covers made from? Are the end panels attached by adhesive or ultrasonic welding or are they sewn? I am assuming the support frame could be shortened easily. I am asking since I have seen FMTV cover kits readily available but no LMTV kits.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Regarding the cover and frame, is it possible to shorten the cover for a FMTV to fit an LMTV? What are the covers made from? Are the end panels attached by adhesive or ultrasonic welding or are they sewn? I am assuming the support frame could be shortened easily. I am asking since I have seen FMTV cover kits readily available but no LMTV kits.
The frame could be easily shortened. For an LMTV the horizontal poles could be shortened just enough to make them work. The cover itself is a rubberized material with ultrasonic welds for all the seams. It might be tough to shorten an FMTV cover to the appropriate length, or at least tough enough that it might not be worth the effort. That's just my take on it though. If you were able to find a smokin' deal on an FMTV cover, then it might be worth the trouble!

Last edited:

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the replies, I figured the cover may be difficult to alter but thought I would check. I am not in a rush so I will keep looking.