• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I promise it's not another battery thread...

Littlejacy

So I've done the "Big Swap" or changeover to the fabulous, more appropriate 2 batt system for my M1078. No sweat, some research and fabricating: Good times, right? Well, I thought so. Upon completion, I went through double checked my voltages and connections, say "Hey, let's turn her on!" and I get no joy. Simple thing has to be the right thing most of the time, I tell myself. Another SteelSoldier pal and I proceed to go through and verify that we are not getting the 24v at the starter OR the alternator post...I was reading 12.6v or so, yet I was at the batt terminal, weird enough. So, upon checking ground at the shut-off I installed, we discover that we are indeed getting 12v there. "What?" you ask?? I concur the confusion,

Taking a look at Page 389 of TM20 Vol5 schematics (see attached), I thought that the cable with TL48 which I verified did indeed go to the "ground shunt" and terminates there with TL52, was a bonafide ground. Hell, it worked before when TL48 was attached to BT2E2 before "the change". I note, however, that on that shunt, TL52 is labeled "N" not the good ol' familiar "Ground" like it says on TL45 above. Is this what I think it is... N for Neutral? Why would the proverbial "they" or "someone" want a path for residual 12.5 volts coming back via a "Ground" cable?

I can make my own ground strap or new cable easy enough I suppose, I truly can. I simply wanted to understand if this is due to the series-paralleled system originally? Can I simply move TL 52 on the shunt currently on over to hang out with TL45 on the ground shunt where a ground is a ground, lol? Just puzzledTM20V5pg389.png is all. Thank all of you!

Ronmar

Yes, you can put both shunt terminals onto one terminal. Or you can skip the shunt all together and connect from TL48(battery ground) to TL 46(starter ground) on the front of the starter motor case. Also check the ground strap that runs from the front of the starter motor to the drivers frame. This is your main chassis ground connection…

Littlejacy

Yes, you can put both shunt terminals onto one terminal. Or you can skip the shunt all together and connect from TL48(battery ground) to TL 46(starter ground) on the front of the starter motor case. Also check the ground strap that runs from the front of the starter motor to the drivers frame. This is your main chassis ground connection…
As per usual Good Sir, your advice is greatly appreciated and affirmation that I am not quite over the cuckoo's nest yet! Thank you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks