• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want to make a teardrop trailer but I've no idea what military trailers available

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not see a listing for types of military trailers (unless Iotally missed it). I would like to use something with abundant ground clearance to allow me to camp out of bounds.

I would like to build something with a camper compartment that is 10 foot long by at least 6.5 feet wide. I would like to build a teardrop variant.

I would like to use my M1025 slantback to pull the trailer.

What our my options and what to do I need to start learning.

Thanks in advance,

T

I have searched this bulletin board and there are only 12 threads dealing with teardrop and they really do not give much detail.

I am considering utilizing the Humvee 12 pin power outlet as my source of electricity for the trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:

tobyS

My wife and I have talked about teardrops for a long time, but mainly for pulling behind a smaller vehicle. Some get very expensive.

If you want to stay with military, the 101 seems a bit small, the 105 is a bit tall and the 1101 and 1102 would be the logical start point. Below is a picture of a 105 bed that is on a (8 lug) Dexter axle (dump bed but you can see it's level with the truck) and hummer wheels and the second is an 1101 that is cut down to put an S788 Geithner shelter on it. The 1101 will have a longer frame made that attaches under the trailer to the axle and lengthens it to 20' making an ATV storage in front and a porch/ladder to get on top at the back. Sorry no build thread yet.

Attachments

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife and I have talked about teardrops for a long time, but mainly for pulling behind a smaller vehicle. Some get very expensive.

If you want to stay with military, the 101 seems a bit small, the 105 is a bit tall and the 1101 and 1102 would be the logical start point. Below is a picture of a 105 bed that is on a (8 lug) Dexter axle (dump bed but you can see it's level with the truck) and hummer wheels and the second is an 1101 that is cut down to put an S788 Geithner shelter on it. The 1101 will have a longer frame made that attaches under the trailer to the axle and lengthens it to 20' making an ATV storage in front and a porch/ladder to get on top at the back. Sorry no build thread yet.
Thanks! Looks like the info I was looking for.

The 105 has good ride height and is super simple. I can lengthen or add tube steel as necessary. Rims will be interchangeable for emergencies.

T

Last edited:

tobyS

Thanks! Looks like the info I was looking for.

The 105 has good ride height and is super simple. I can lengthen or add tube steel as necessary. Rims will be interchangeable for emergencies.

T
A normal 105 has 20"rims, 6 lug and is about 1' higher. Use Google images to see the difference. That is my frame and axle, not military issue, Dexter 8 lug #7,000 (fits HMMWV wheels). I just used the 105 bed, took it off the frame and axle. If you go with an M1101 or 1102, you can have the interchangeable wheels.

Barrman

M101A3 trailers have the same wheels and tires as your truck, surge brakes, pintle hook and use the same power cable. They pull awesome too by the way.

Several people have taken M101 trailers and done all kinds of modifications for off road camping/living. Expedition Portal is a site that those builds seem to gravitate to. There are several threads on here though about people putting slid in campers or military shelters on 101's with great results.

tobyS

Personally, I like being able to see what I'm pulling. Using the smaller trailers may make it's visibility behind you more difficult. The 1101 and 1102 are the same width as your HMMWV.

Google "M1101 trailer camper" (images) and look at page after page.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW. Too many people to say thanks to!

I will begin to google and design something with all this great information. It will take a good while for me to get everything in line.

Many thanks to all who have responded.

T

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M105 type generator trailers have a bed on them that is 123.5 inches long and almost 83 inches wide. Using a commercial axle to drop it a bit would make getting into and out of a lot easier and you can round the front corners if a teardrop shape is what you want.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks