• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I was told I have a 6.5. How do I know?

Dock Rocker

I bought a m1009 several weeks ago and I have started to recondition and upgrade. One of the local MV guys was looking it over and said that the engine was a 6.5 not a 6.2. I don't doubt him but I want to make sure. It's pretty obvious that it's not the original engine. The engine was much cleaner than the rest of the engine bay. The block itself looked like it has never been muddy.

Can anyone tell me what if anything you can look at externally that would let me know the difference between the 6.2 and the 6.5. I would like to to know more for future repairs than for additional power. Let me know what you guys think.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the sticker on the valve cover say it is?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Standing in front of the truck, look on the left side mounting pad for the water pump. You will see 6.2L or nothing.

If it is nothing then a little more looking is required.

On the back of the engine is a casting number and date stamp.

Find those and report back.

There are some great write-ups of engine differences at www.thedieselpageforums.com
The site does require you to sign up.

Attachments

cedargrove

If the sticker on the valve cover says GEP, you are certainly looking at a best of the breed 6.5. If it says GM, you will likely need to read the casting #s to determine casting date and displacement.