• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

i was wondering/needing advice on....

CUCVLOVER

I am looking at lifting my m1008 with stock running gear by adding air bags.
The front springs have some negative arch which I know is normal and the back springs are ok.
What im thinking about doing is putting air bags on both the axles. This way the truck will hold more weight and it will set the truck a little higher with out much modification to the truck.
I figure ill only get about 2.5-3 inch of lift but I think that's ok.

So has anyone done this or think it will work?

Thank yall:-D

Drock

If I understand you correctly, your looking to ADD air bags TO the leaf springs to gain this lift? That would make it horribly stiff. If it were me I'd do a leveling kit to the front , then in the rear I'd remove the Military portion of the springs or just replace them with stock K30 ones, Then add your air bags to the rear only. Air bags need to be used either in place of springs, (which in this case would require a complete custom suspension), or as helper springs for leveling out a heavy load. Pumping them up WILL lift the vehicle, but turn it into ah skateboard.

CUCVLOVER

I had thought about coil over shocks in the rear and put lift springs in the front.
But I only found 3/4 ton HD lift springs. Will those be OK?
I know that over time that 6.2 will make lighter springs sag. That's why I thought about air bags.

Also I don't know that the m1008 could ride any stiffer?

Drock

Adding ANY additional spring type devise to what you already have WILL make it much stiffer. I did ah quick search and found this at summit....http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sja-c125ck.... If you'll notice to the right of the page it tells you that even this modest 2.5" lift will require a higher pitman arm and longer shocks also.

nyoffroad

Years ago I put air shocks on the front of one of my trucks to help with the weight of a snowplow. No one listed them for the front so I took a rear set and IIRC had to cut about an 1/8 off where the lower mounting bolt goes thru. It worked fine with the plow but it did stiffen up the front quite a bit without the plow.

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 2" front lift spring will level the front of the truck with the back when unloaded. You shoud be able to run that small of a lift without steering linkage or brake line issues. I would recommend an entire spring, not just an add-a-leaf. You can look up the part # from your favorite spring brand and usually find a decent deal. I did a zero-rate 1" lift on the front of my 1028 and I was able to use stock steering even with the axle moved forward one inch. Rode really soft that way (original springs) but I would have rather just thrown 2" springs in instead.

On my current 1009 the front and rear springs are Tuff-Country EZ ride in the 4" variety, and they are still really stiff. I would stay away from HD springs unless you are planning on having a plow or winch or some other heavy thing on the front.

Tuff Country 2" EZ ride is part #18270 and 2" HD is part #18271.

seansilverado

I put airbags in the front of my M1008 , the springs had quite a bit of sag & it did level them out but no significant improvement on the ride., but definitely not stiffer

CUCVLOVER

Ok. Thanks.
I figured a shackle flip in the rear and some more springs up front at least. You mean new k30 springs front and rear or just front?
I'm not going for a crazy rock crawler just a little more clearance and a higher stanceKIMG0980.jpgKIMG0974.jpg
Thank you

Last edited:

HETvet

Personally, I would go with new springs front and rear. The reason is the spring, over time, probably have lost some their memory/spring, plus the K30 has a non-HD ride. The shocks are most likely worn out. I personally love the ranchero 9000 shocks. There is some tune-ability in them, plus they are built tough.

CUCVLOVER

I'm sorry about that.
Big thumbs, smart phones, and getting sleepy dont mix.

I ment to ask where do you work? I seen you said you work for a 4x4 shop I just don't remember the name or where I saw that post. I was just going to look at the shops website if it has one.

Thank you

Last edited:

HETvet

I work at screamin lizard customs in Bedford Texas. We're part of Grubbs Nissan. We're mostly known for jeep builds; we were one of the first shops to not only swap, but have it work properly and be street legal, a hemi in to a wrangler.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks