• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I wont give upthe quest:

pa.rich

I am still looking for a hydraulic pump for my M51A2 dumper. I believe it is different from the 929 Has been worrying me that after all this work on the rust repair and repainting, that I will be pumpless in Pa. As a last resort, Memphis has one but due to funds, wedding coming up, etc, I am reluctant to spring for it. $900.00! Isnt there someone out there that has one or has seen an older M51A2 in a junkyard they know has one and can help? I havent had the time to travel to salvage yards to look.BTW, the one at Memphis Equipment, was reconditioned. I hope it was really rebuilt and not just cleaned and repainted! Sometimes I wonder about those used parts. Memphis has been good to me, I am not knocking them. Their parts man has been real helpful with the M211. Most of the yards I called will only sell the entire dumper units. $3500. yikes, I only need the pump!I am not cheap but how about 5-600 $ ?Anybody?Forgive me for venting.But HELP!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
To me, reconditoned means they threw it in the parts washer. Rebuilt means they put seals in it, checked the cylinder and piston for conforming to specs (taper), etc.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am pretty sure you meant to put this in the 5-ton section, not the member recognition section, so I'll get it moved for you.

pa.rich

Ace, during the winter , I had a day off and tried both Memphis locations, Kublo's, Arts parts in Wisconsin, he has one but was hoping to sell whole unit on ebay, and I am not ebay able, not familiar with that. Colemans only will sell entire dump unit, cant remember for sure, I think I called some others that were suggested. Its been discouraging. Thanks ,I will try Winer's after the holiday . Most everyone I called said they have the complete dump unit but were not willing to break up the set. And this pump bolts to the dual fluid ports, so if I cant get that type which is different than the 929, I will have to fabricate all new pump brackets for a standard used pump, and change the length of the hoses, etc. What a pain. Its holding up the whole project. Had I known all the problems, I never would have gotten into this. I will also call Art back and see if he has sold the set on Ebay. I just dont know how to do the ebay thing. I guess you cant teach the old dog new tricks!Also this dump has the two lift pistons with the up and also the down pressure.Anyone looking for a five ton truck? I am ready to give up withit and just sell it with the flatbed thats on it.Would make a great tractor or whatever. Then I could take the money and start over, but never again will I go through this!

M215

Dump pump

Hello pa.rich,
I still have the extra pump and control valve for my XM215, plan to keep it as a spare. Sam Winer had one on their shelf several years ago ($500 ?). Top Kick MV Musem in WV has a M215 in their back lot as well as the MV dealer in Hazelton Pa (Yumala?), don't know if they will sell just the pump, might be worth a call.
Good luck, Karl

pa.rich

RE: Dump pump

Karl, the pump for the M215 is on the opposite side of the truck than on the 5 ton I am working on. I am not sure if the pump is the same. Rotation may be switched by putting it in my truck on the passenger side. I think your pto is on drivers side off the transfer case, and my 5 Ton has the pto located on the gearbox on the passenger side.I would guess that the pump rotation would be reversed and I dont know if it will pump in both clockwise and counter clockwise. I have a pump that came off a 211 and it was a add on type. Wasnt original equipment. This is all very frustating to me. that pump was on drivers side pto . I was down to Hazleton and looked at the 215 but it was missing some parts, and wouldnt work for the five ton I have . At the time I was looking to convert my 211 to a dumper.I am still going to check on one lead I have. But it is a slim chance. This pump is needed for a '70 Kaiser-Jeep M51A2 five ton dumper. Karl, thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it. I may just sell the five ton, havent decided. It is the truck pictured in my avatar on the left. Anyone interested?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

I can't supply you with a pump - but I can tell you something about Memphis Equipment. Until about three years ago, I was at their shop at least three times a week. Most of the rest of us can only dream of a facility so well equipped (and parts shelves so well stocked). Most MV and parts dealers are 1-2 man operations. Not so here - 30-40 people work in Memphis, with probably a bit more than half of those mechanics - most of whom are specialized (The guy that rebuilds gearboxes does not do body work, or assemble/rebuild trucks, and the men that build engines similarly don't work on gearboxes).

That being said - I've spent more time - and money - there than I care to admit. I've only had a problem with one item under warranty, which they took care of immediately and without hassle. They've also replaced other parts at no charge that were beyond the warranty period - saying "with as little as you drive your trucks, you shouldn't have had this problem". All this long before I started writing about MVs - rather, I was (am) just an average customer. That being said, I'd have no hesitance about buying anything they sold as functional.

I enjoy the research - and to a certain extent I enjoy "the hunt" - but were I to win the lottery, I'd simply send Memphis Equipment a list of the army trucks I'd like!

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

pa.rich

If I were retired, I would be traveling for the quest of parts, I enjoy that, infact once in a while I just take a junkyard walk for the fun of it or as my wife says " for the halibut" !Wouldnt you know it I came across a five ton tractor in the rear corner of the lot. I dealt with Memphis couple of times and they were prompt in shipping and very helpful. A pleasure to buy from. thx David.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks