• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Idea on tightening up the lateral movement for rear tandems

Trango

So you know how the rear tandems utilize the rear leafs to position the axle laterally, right? I was looking at this over last weekend, and it looks as though there's alot of slop built into the system.

The slop is seen where the lowest leaf sits in its guide, and I'm referring to the guide that bolts on top of the axle.

I'm wondering if it might be possible to tighten up that fit by welding a little shim into each guide, to reduce the side to side travel of the axle.

Any ideas on whether this would be beneficial or harmful?

Thanks
Bob

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't see a problem with it if the deuce stayed on level ground. Those leaves stay flat and perpendicular to the truck even in off camber situations. If you bind it up off camber, that housing on the axle witll rotate on the spring. Need some clearance for that. A neat idea would be to encapsulate the end of the spring with rubber linka like a torsion axle ona trailer. Allows movement but not slop. Just my opinion!

Knucklehead

The torque rods prevent lateral and rotational movement of the axle. The spring is sitting on top of the perch, what you called a guide. The spring has no influence on lateral movement, the spring is not fixed to the perch just sitting on top and it must be free to slide as it is compressed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spring does limit lateral movement. Without the spring, the axles would flop all over the place with the rubber joints in the torque rods being the only things holding it. If you were to eliminate the rigid support of the springs you would need a panhard bar or a diagonal link to eliminate movement. Bob, I would bind it up like a son-of-a-gun and see what space is left. Might be able to shim it with steel to test it.

PS you should hear the tractor rear suspension pop when I make sharp turns with 10,000# on the 5th wheel plate.

Hookin1

If you watch a semi tractor when it turns the rearends will shift,this is built in to the suspension to keep from breaking the springs.The tires will roll when loaded and in sharp turns,but not enough to compensate for the shock.Being that the army truck suspension is actually designed for off road use it has a little more movement allowed in the rearend side to side travel,being that the terrain is usually uneven,and that the military recommends lower tire pressure when off road.As long as your rearends line back up when traveling in a straight line you have nothing to worry about.If the start travelling off center of each other then you have torsion arm bushings that are worn out.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I drove around with my bed off last year and you can see the axles shifting side to side while driving down the road. In one of the manuals it states how much play is supposed to be between the spring and the plate for side to side movement.

Jones

Most all tactical vehicles are designed with what could be viewed as too much slop but it's there for a reason; without it you wouldn't have the flexibility necessary to traverse the really ugly terrain they're intended to make it through. From jeeps to ten-ton tractors, all have to make it through the same mil-standard terrain course. As long as everything returns to center on flat, level ground you're OK.

Trango

Ok, it seems like everyone here is pretty much thinking what I'm thinking.

Who knows. If I get some time in the next few weeks, I might throw some scraps of ½" plate in there and see what happens.

Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks