• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identify this Cat! Please!

TheBuggyman

Another couple of thoughts,

How loud would this truck be if the muffler was eliminated and ran like the Deuces?

Would there be any drawbacks to this other than noise?

Can I put jakes on this engine?

garp

Go for it!. I would leave hp alone for now, easily turned up later if you still need{want} more. The 350 hp its at will suprise you compared to a 350 Cummins, not blowing a horn here, just that this thing will pull a lot harder than a Cummins of the same hp. Not a real market for A models anymore, but still quite a few around that earn their keep everyday. Jakes are no problem, cruise a truck salvage yard or find a dealer in used equipment parts, should be able to find you a donor. Will have to change valve bridges, exhaust push rods and exhaust rocker arms, off the top of my head anyways. And a throttle switch installed into the gov, no big deal.

No.2Diesel

Our plan is to run an open exhaust that mimics the path of the stock plumbing. The turbo outlet is aprox. 5.8" dia. so we'll run a 6" pipe. I cant wait to hear it!:twisted: Also with no fancy intake muffling, the engine brake should be making some thunderous farts!:twisted:

I agree that you should seek out the proper Jacobs engine Brake to compliment the stock brakes.

Buggyman, have you compared the height of the Cat (w/ or w/o jake) v. 250 Cummins?

Jakelc15

sorry was thinking of a different cat model. glad there were those to jump right on my mistake. that engine should be more than sufficient for your truck. Were you upgrading the tranny? I don't know what kind of torque it can take. I've seen rock crawlers with deuce rockwell axles break shafts with big hp engines. You should be good on that though. Some of our larger loaders at work have those engines in them. It's probably one of the largest engines I have rebuilt. I tried to find your arrangement in the parts books but all the 3406 engine we have now are c models. I'll check out the old manuals we have boxed up to see if there is anything close. Just for the record we have a 31 series engine that makes 745 HP. If you can manage a aftercooler into the truck it makes loads of difference on your power band. I may be able to pull up the arrangement online and email the parts book to you. Won't tell you what kind of power the engine makes though. but still useful.

TheBuggyman

No.2,
The Cat will be considerably higher even w/o the Jakes as the turbo discharge runs over the heads to the intake which is an aftercooler type. (JWAC) I suppose that it could be re-routed but the jakes would add extra height anyway so the hood will have to be modded.

Cowl induction on a five ton?:-D

Jakelc15

Isn't this going in a 5 ton? I heard somewhere they use the 5 ton axels for the monster trucks. Only one way to find out if they'll hold!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
LISTEN TO GARP!!!:-D

I have had...and have 3406's, 3116's and 3126's.
3116's and 3126's suck...in Chevy and GMC medium duty trucks.
3406's rock...but are much more expensive than cummins etc to rebuild...but then again...it happens less often in my experience.

Unless I have been lied to by the CAT dealer...I have 3 - 425HP and 1 - 475HP CATS

I wouldn't think of putting a 3116 or 3126 in a 5ton...or even a deuce...hate em.:twisted:

M813A1

The CAT 3406 Engine is a 998 Cubic inch engine with 1500lbs torque DI stands for Direct Injection that engine is anywhere from 300 hp to 600 hp depending on which model you have 3406 came in A,B,C,D and E models . The newer model is called the C-12 series of engine that is uppwards of 600 hp. I had a 3406B in a 1994 Ford LTL 9000 and it was a 425 hp. 1500lbs torque and was turboed with aftercooler it was not computerized . The computers controlling came on the C model and later engines. The engine numbers break down like this . 340 cubic inches per cyclinder 6 cylinders

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks