• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identify this old crane?

proceed to strip the crane?

• Total voters

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting the additional pics. The frame picture tells the story, heavy fishplating to support the crane will make a restoration of the Diamond T very difficult. Also the cab has been chopped up, as you saw the passenger's door is kind of pointless now. The big Hercules RXC looks good down in there. To be honest, there are better Diamond T's around to restore if you really like that model truck. I would go with your original plan, score the combat wheels and leave the rest. Let us know if you want to sell the wheels if you get them.

panshark

anything else worth getting? the owner could only think of pulling the cables off the crane, but hasn't gotten that far yet. I was thinking maybe the sheet metal, axles or engine might be useful to somebody (someday). If anybody starts beggin for parts, just remember it's in Idaho, which is about 100 miles west of the middle of nowhere. That's right, I'm talking about Wyoming.

Dodge man

I think you should get it and yank the crane and replace it with a huge, cable supported, fake cannon! Even if you couldn't raise the barrel it would still be impressive!

Danger Ranger

If you can't save the truck, then at least try and save the crane. There are many organizations that love to restore and play with that old, even home-brew, equipment. Hate to see it go...:(

I could use that water outlet, fan, and fan tensioner on my cletrac with a WXCL Herc motor...

Not sure how the water pump is set up on the RXC but I need one as well...

Danger Ranger

Umm...not sure if you have done anything with the cranetruck yet, but in case you have missed this, or haven't seen it, here is the link to an olive-drab page on military cranetrucks:
WW II TRUCK MOUNTED CRANES
The pic is off the page, it is a Brockway truck (can't remember your model, but will check after this post)

Attachments

panshark

haven't done anything with it yet, but we were planning on definitely leaving the crane alone. I'm gonna have to research the brockway, thanks for the tip

wilber

Man I love those old WWII trucks. I used to always see them sitting out in hedge rows or behind barns. The high price of scrap has really wiped them out.

Too bad...

aggopian

I say find someone who NEEDS to restore it and negotiate a finders fee/trade for the wheels you need. That way you get what you need and a piece of history is retained.
Also based on the pic Danger Ranger posted maybe it was an MV.
Ah well maybe not but its a great restoration project...

bearboley

Is it a K model Insley, does it have the strait 8 Chyrsler in it. There no nice to run. The have one shipper clutch and you have to dog everything in and out of gear including the boom, no power down on the drum and no house brake. Awful to run LOL

panshark

bad news--the guy who owns the crane has sold the land that it's sitting on, and it looks like the whole thing might get dragged over to the neighbor's, for an unknown future. If anyone wants anything off of it really bad, PM me and I'll get you the current owner's info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks