• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identify towbar ends + adapter deminsions?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Can you identify the adapter ends on this towbar in the second pic. I am thinking that they are the 3/4" Humvee versions. I need to make sure that this can tow a M1009 which is the 1" pin, so if it is the 3/4" version are there any other deminsions that are changed to prevent me form just turning out a spacer that is 1-1/2" long with a 3/4" ID, and a 1" OD kind of the like the one in the first pic?
Thanks

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can build bushings either way. You can bush the 1" adapter for 3/4" pins or bush the vehicle shackle bracket from 1" to 3/4" for the 3/4" pins, Either one can be bushed as long as you have the smaller pins

m.walker

If you want to make it even easier feldmans ( farm store ) makes bushings for I believe a 3 point hitch that fits over a 3/4" bolt that goes snug into the 1" holes in the bumper mounts .I bought a couple to throw in my tool box ( I think they were a buck each )!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries Mike. I've been pondering how to bush my 3/4" tow bar adapters so I can use the 1" pins.

CGarbee

For those of us in the Southeast (US), the "go to" place for this stuff is Agri-Supply... Also, sometimes, Southern States and Tractor Supply (depending on location and if it is the farm version or the clothing/lawn and garden version...).

Jones

Might also check with beltfed34 on ebay. Austin (Austin Aviation) has the adapters with both pin sizes that you just flip over in the towbar leg for whichever size you need.

dilvoy

Builder77, you are correct in thinking those adaptors with the Medium tow bar, are the ones with the 3/4" pin. I just compared some adaptors and weather these have the 3/4" or 1" pin they are cast from the same mold. The pin centers are in the same location so you could enlarge the pin holes to use the 1' pin if you wanted to. The adaptors with the dual pattern that General was talking about are from the small tow bar and the part that would attach to the towbar end is to thick to use with the medium tow bar and would have to be ground or cut down to fit.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well here is the end result. Thanks for the suggestion of checking out a farm store. I hit Agra this afternoon. I had forgotten how good of a store they are. I will be blowing much more money there soon. These spacers were 2" long, so all I had to do was shorten them down to 1-1/2" on the lathe. They only cost .69 for each spacer much cheaper then the time and tool wear in boring that size hole.

Now for another question. I heard that there is an even bigger version of these tow bars, but I have no idea what they look like. Is there any chance this is the bigger version with the even larger pin size?
Thanks,
Ethan

P.S. I made an extra set of spacers, so if anyone needs a set you can have them for $2 plus the shipping cost.

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow that was fast. If other people need some spacer sets I could cut a few more sets without too much problem. That is as long as you agree not to try and tow a deuce with these, or otherwise prove Darwin right :wink:

From the info above it looks like it would be easy to make a set going the other way with similar spacers for both sides of the adapter and a high quality 3/4" pin.

Divoy thanks for comparing the spacers. These thinks look an awful lot alike. I had thought that the duel size adapter would fir the medium bar without modification. Now I know better. Does the bumper mounting adapter with the chain fit the medium bar, or are there multiple types of these to fit the various bars?

dilvoy

Builder77, I have the chain adaptors and they fit the medium bar and should fit on the small bar too, but because the tow bar end is wider, I guess there is possibly more strain put on the pin and if really heavy forces were put on it, the pins could be bent. I think that is not likley on a vehicle weighing 9,000 lbs or less. I have seen a chain adaptors in a size larger than the ones I have. They looked to be exactly the same design but were larger and heavier. I'm not shure if they fit only the large tow bar or can also fit the medium tow bar.

WVSCOUTCAR

I use a medium also known as the APC bar. NSN 2540-00-936-7801 It is on PS MagazineDec 2005 page 8.
I like it because if I am towing and have to back up a little to make a turn, it will not damage the bar. Also because it weights about 250 lbs, I can leave it in the back of the duce. It is too heavy to carry off. Just used it to tow my M1009 back from Depot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks