• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IDLER ARM BROKE

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I used to work in the automotive parts industry. There are a lot of misconcenptions into what the NHTSA recalls do. The main point is to alert people of a problem. The secondary point is to promote compliance to ensure we don't have bad parts in the parts supply.

So lets say this isn't a one-off part failure, but someone selling unsafe parts (doesn't matter where they are made). What SHOULD happen is they are notified by owners of failures. They gather the parts and look for a systemic failure, and then can notify the public to inspect their vehicles for these parts and warn people to not buy them any longer.

(Doesn't matter if the manufacturer is Ford, GM, Moog, or some no-name chinese factory imported via Ebay or Amazon marketplaces.... NHTSA collects data and publishes warnings or recalls based on findings.)
All that you point to in the program makes for a good practice when applied. (I'am with ya)(y) Critical parts like this one... Would the NHTSA want data ? Maybe the BBB would be the place ?

It's a buyer beware market place. CAMO

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ask myself two questions about the whole China garbage discussion.
How do I tell the difference between crap and good stuff?
Here with the Idler Arm, it might still be possible by referring to the grease fitting. But what if the Chinese guys also put a grease fitting on it or leave it off?
And, as already mentioned, the dealers claim it's all top quality. Whether unknowingly or knowingly.
You can't tell from the price either. I've also bought expensive garbage.

For things that are identifiable, we should link a list in a fixed thread.
Like...
idler arm without grease nipple - danger of China goods.
Recognize which glow plugs last from 12 to noon and which are good.

A kind of guide.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ask myself two questions about the whole China garbage discussion.
How do I tell the difference between crap and good stuff?
Here with the Idler Arm, it might still be possible by referring to the grease fitting. But what if the Chinese guys also put a grease fitting on it or leave it off?
And, as already mentioned, the dealers claim it's all top quality. Whether unknowingly or knowingly.
You can't tell from the price either. I've also bought expensive garbage.

For things that are identifiable, we should link a list in a fixed thread.
Like...
idler arm without grease nipple - danger of China goods.
Recognize which glow plugs last from 12 to noon and which are good.

A kind of guide.
I’ve relied on “Packaging and finish“ on the product….anything produced for the Govt is in a long term storage paper, nothing is in cheao boxes, no cheap clear shrink wrapping.
Halfshafts for example are painted with black CARC, not blued…also look for GKN stamp from the mfg“er.
electrical components have Prestolite mfd’d wires….examples are Thermstatic switch and cold advance.
Most importantl and can’t stress this….buy from Vendors who sell to the military and have contracts to provide parts,
ask them direcly, Kascar answers the phone, Dave at HPG answers his phone and email, Craig at MAC answers his phone, if
anything you find is suspect, they will send you new Replacement part for free, they DO NOT WANT inferior parts
mingled with there inventory.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does AMG make any of these parts themselves? I thought they were all a flavor of Moog as some clearly state moog problem solver on the components...

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does AMG make any of these parts themselves? I thought they were all a flavor of Moog as some clearly state moog problem solver on the components...
My understanding is early versions of the parts were contracted by AMG.. Then Moog made a better version, and AMG signed an exclusive contract with them as a supplier. Moog won't sell the parts directly, only through AMG due to this. (Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks