• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm confused about model year

Autocar

I just won an XM818 tractor with Cummins in California. I've read all the threads about finding the serial number and determining the year for the SF97, but I don't understand it. Does GL just take your word for the year and S/N on the SF97? If proof is required, how do you do that? The S/N is apparently stamped on the passanger side frame, but where and what kind of number is it? I'm assuming that the VIN number and the S/N are the same thing. Also, why isn't the VIN/serial number the VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION number that is stamped into the data tag on the dashboard? Can someone please help me so that after my EUC clears, I will be able to quickly get the SF97 application in. Thanks.

I just won an XM818 tractor with Cummins in California. I've read all the threads about finding the serial number and determining the year for the SF97, but I don't understand it. Does GL just take your word for the year and S/N on the SF97? If proof is required, how do you do that? The S/N is apparently stamped on the passanger side frame, but where and what kind of number is it? I'm assuming that the VIN number and the S/N are the same thing. Also, why isn't the VIN/serial number the VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION number that is stamped into the data tag on the dashboard? Can someone please help me so that after my EUC clears, I will be able to quickly get the SF97 application in. Thanks.
Im pretty sure the number is on the left frame rail on all of my 5 tonners.
its near the front shock mount.

also on mine the dash tags are not all stamped.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
DaveP is correct...look over the center top of the driver's side steer tire and the serial # is stamped into the frame on the 818.

There should also be a data plate near the map/glove compartment on the passenger side of the dashboard. The #'s should match.

M813A1

One place you can look is on the data tag on the Cummins Engine Block it is on the drivers side front edge of the timming case cover it will have a year of manufacture of the engine and that will give a ball park date of the year your truck was made

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
There are specific requirements (established by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) as to what a VIN is (number of digits, and the significance of each). Also, the VIN plate must be permanently attached, not screwed on.

Military trucks, at least the older ones, do not meet these requirements, thus, most MVs really have manufacturers serial numbers, not VINs, but this is splitting hairs.

Further, for military accountability purposes, the registration number is usually the key number, not the mfr serial number. Often the reg number is stamped on the data plate by the factory, or the end using unit.

Data plates are held on with screws, and can be switched (precisely why the feds say VIN plates can't be screwed on) - and some units have been known to "upgrade" their trucks by swapping data plates and repainting reg numbers.

In short, the number stamped in the frame is the only one you can truly trust.

DD

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
One place you can look is on the data tag on the Cummins Engine Block it is on the drivers side front edge of the timming case cover it will have a year of manufacture of the engine and that will give a ball park date of the year your truck was made

Unless it had an engine change. Would not trust this at all. SN (aka the VIN) analysis is the only valid means to do so.

The SN (VIN) and registration number relationship is explained on my vin info thread.

Last edited:

Autocar

So let me see if I have this correct-look at the frame above the drivers side front tire and read the number. This is the VIN/serial number of the truck. Then go to Carnac or Dave D and they can tell me what year the truck was made. This is the info that is entered onto the SF97 form that I send in? Also, what happens if the frame number doesn't match the IDENTIFICATION NUMBER stamped into the dashboard data tag?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
So let me see if I have this correct-look at the frame above the drivers side front tire and read the number. This is the VIN/serial number of the truck. Then go to Carnac or Dave D and they can tell me what year the truck was made. This is the info that is entered onto the SF97 form that I send in? Also, what happens if the frame number doesn't match the IDENTIFICATION NUMBER stamped into the dashboard data tag?

Your dash plate could have been swapped with the wrong info either intentionally or unintentionally. You have to use the frame number.

Autocar

Thanks Carnac. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with DMV and conflicting VIN data and how you handle the problem when trying to register the truck.

Dodge man

Thanks Carnac. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with DMV and conflicting VIN data and how you handle the problem when trying to register the truck.
I once owned a car that was titled as a hard top when it was actually a convertible. At the time (1976?) I was living in Va and I asked DMV about correcting the title and they said I could bring it in and have them inspect it and verify the correct feature and that they would then correct the title. But I never bothered. I still have the car, '70 Dodge Challanger RT, and it's still titled as a hard top! In fact, when I moved to Fla the DMV had to have a LEO verify the SN but they didn't even notice/care that it was the wrong body type! Dodge built lots of hard top Challangers but the convertibles were very rare (269 built) so I wonder if that had anything to do with the incorrect description.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks