• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Improper Use of Gov't Property...

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It shouldn't be too hard for Uncle Sam to find these guys. They should be found and delt with as those above (Mark & David) have suggested. These guys need to be made an example of. Their punishment should be posted on youtube.

They also need to be banned from the internet for life for being stupid enough to post the video (I wish I had a magic button to do this, trust me, I'd be very carefull with it :twisted: )

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No doubt Wayne. I did plenty of stupid stuff that probably endangered my life as well as others when I was young. Mostly in high horsepower 4x4's and dirt bikes (my own stuff). I've paid the price for my stupidity. I started with the Bell System in "78", evan though I was crazy back then, I never took line trucks or bucket trucks out and abused them in any way, for too many reasons to evan go into. I believe that gives me the right to cast stones in this case. These guys are just plain dumb f***'s and do an absolute disservice to all members of our armed forces who are 99.999% top notch.

David's point that if someone gets in that truck and something lets loose and people die because of this is correct. These guys should be forced to explian to the families of those who are injured or worse.

Think about it, are these the guys you'd want to be next to in a tough situation. Do you trust their judgement? Not me. Karma has a way of weeding folks like this out. This video as well as others like it (jumping M35A3) is not funny.

FreightTrain

Banned
What I can't get over is why in the hell would you want to break equipment that your LIFE depends on?If the truck don't work then you gotta either jack a ride,Hitch a ride,or RUN LIKE HELL when the bullets start to really fly.

Elwenil

I can't watch the vids on YouTube here at work but I assume it is of another Deuce getting bounced around. One thing to think about is the fact that there are a lot of trucks just sitting in lots that are being used for parts or have some issue that they don't want to fix or similar. I have been told more then once of guys getting together to fix one to use around the base if they use their own time to fix it. So it may not be a critical piece of equipment and may have been written off to a certain extent. A lot of these trucks are being given to the country where the base is located because they aren't worth the trouble to ship home. We can't know the whole story, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

On the other hand, abusing trucks and other vehicles and equipment in the military is pretty commonplace and I'm sure anyone who has been in the military has seen or done it and probably has a funny story to tell about it. Maybe nothing to this extent, but certainly something they knew they shouldn't have been doing. I'm not saying it's right, and they should be punished with something that fits the crime, but lets not go overboard here.

No.2Diesel

The vid shows a 900 series 5ton Dump. I agree with you Elwenil...Its a drop in the bucket (more like a drop in the ocean) in terms of $

When equipment passes a point of "no return" and is too much trouble getting it back to operational or status, its easier to make that equipment "dissapear" because they know they'll get a rebuild or new piece.

I have been told first hand by one vet stationed in Korea that trucks in sad shape "had their brakes go out and magically go over a cliff." A rebuilt unit would arrive from Japan a few weeks later. :wink:

I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Jake0147

I've got to side a little bit with No.2Diesel, just like so many "clips" floating about these days there's only the good part here, not the whole story. Every one seems to assume that there is no supervision. No.2Diesel points out a valid reason why someone in charge might condone this to cut the red tape a bit. I also wonder if I were commanding these kids, out in harms way, and I had a truck that was beyond service, I might envision them leaving an area quickly and under fire of one sort or another, I might want them to be familiar with how to handle the a vehicle when the terrain is rougher than they thought, or in the case of the 5 ton, putting a little fear into them about knocking themselves out cold when the cab guard crashes down on top of their head.

You're all probably right, nineteen year olds under stress, inapropriately venting with the only recreation available at the time, but it just seems like a big conclusion from such a short clip.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I disagree on the "it's OK if the truck was beyond it's serviceable life" but consider this.. Lets say that some BN CDR authorized this stupidity... What happens when something breaks and a truck goes end over end, and maims/kills someone?? I can just see the BDE CDR freaking out, and wanting an explination as to why PVT Joe wound up dead from some "vehicle familiarazation training" in vehicles that were "bad". Bottom line is someone will end up in Ft. Levenworth for stupidly endangering soldiers lives..

The Army is short tactical dump trucks, and the MEL (maintaince expenditure limit) is very high on them. Someone show me the last time they saw a 900 series dump truck on GL. The 900 series is still very much alive, and used in Iraq every day.

MarineTracs

Bored young guys in a war zone. Yeah, stuff like this happens. But, that does not mean that it should be considered acceptable nor should it be tolerated. On the last jump, the Humvee almost flipped over. Killing yourself, or someone else, to relieve boredom is just plain idiotic. Did I do stupid stuff when I was was a young Marine. Sure I did. But, it was stupid then and it's stupid now.
Which brings me, in a round about way to another pet peeve I have. Have you noticed all the 'reality' clips coming out that are being taken by individuals on combat patrols or missions? What the hell are they thinking about? You can't be looking out for Mr Bad Guy and playing with a camera at the same time. "Oh look, this is my buddy who just got whacked because I was playing with my video camera instead of watching his back". These guys (that is, the ones shooting the videos) are seemingly more intent on making videos than doing their job. Have any of our guys been killed because of this stupidity? I don't know, but it is only a matter of time. And such an incident wouldn't be just plain idiotic, it would be criminal. Just my two cents (well, it was more like a quarter wasn't it?) worth.

N1265

What I see here is a lack of discipline and it disturbs me. I don't really care about the trucks themselves but the lack of discipline and judgment they are displaying is appalling. If they cant even use good judgment when they are bored, How can we count on them to use good judgment when things get a little dicey ? This is not what I expect to see from the worlds best trained military and posting such things on the net is even a worse laps of judgment in my opinion.... These clowns had better tighten it up before its too late.

They are more concerned with being a " You Tube Star " than they are with being a professional Soldier.

5tonpuller

They need to make one more vid. When the motor pool commander OR there OIC does to them when HE founds this out. That would be the one I want to see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks