• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Improvement of the rear wheel arches - M1009 / Chevrolet Blazer K5 Diesel

Elektroman99

Dear gentleman,

I do not know the technical term, for this reason I try to describe it.
I am looking for a kit or spare parts to "better" seal the rear wheel wells.
I have K5 M1009 6.2 l diesel and on mine the rear wheel wells are relatively open to the front and to the rear.
To test the 4 WD drive once, I drove 500 m dirt road and had now already earth and stones on the the inside of the side skirts in front of the rear wheel arches.
Are there kits here, additional material that you can buy "in the trade" and seals the wheel wells better?

my_m1009.jpg

Then my second question, why was this not already provided by Chevrolet itself on the M1009, is there a reason for this?

In general, it must have been common practice already in the 70s / 80s to provide better protection in the underbody area, especially for vehicles intended for off-road use?
Or am I overlooking an important point here with regard to off-road capability?

Best regards
Elektroman99

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dear gentleman,

I do not know the technical term, for this reason I try to describe it.
I am looking for a kit or spare parts to "better" seal the rear wheel wells.
I have K5 M1009 6.2 l diesel and on mine the rear wheel wells are relatively open to the front and to the rear.
To test the 4 WD drive once, I drove 500 m dirt road and had now already earth and stones on the the inside of the side skirts in front of the rear wheel arches.
Are there kits here, additional material that you can buy "in the trade" and seals the wheel wells better?

View attachment 902510

Then my second question, why was this not already provided by Chevrolet itself on the M1009, is there a reason for this?

In general, it must have been common practice already in the 70s / 80s to provide better protection in the underbody area, especially for vehicles intended for off-road use?
Or am I overlooking an important point here with regard to off-road capability?

Best regards
Elektroman99
I haven't seen anything you can buy for that from a store to fit. I bet it wouldn't take much to add some steel or a plastic shield to pop in there especially the front part since it hits the body pan and likes to rot out.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
…..it makes no sense to seal these places that you mention……. because these are all double sheets and folds……………Water must always be able to drain off, it would be counterproductive to collect it in these places.
Nobody would be able to keep water and dirt out of these places.
But which makes sense….bringing fluid film or similar products into these regions using a probe

Sezzo

…..it makes no sense to seal these places that you mention……. because these are all double sheets and folds……………Water must always be able to drain off, it would be counterproductive to collect it in these places.
Nobody would be able to keep water and dirt out of these places.
But which makes sense….bringing fluid film or similar products into these regions using a probe
Clean it, seal it with fluid film and you are good to go. There will always be mud, dirt and every sort of grime in these areas. That is normal. Clean it once every year and spray some fresh Fluid film on and you will have no issues at all.

Last edited:

CenterMass762

Once or twice a year, I'll take a can of CRC marine corrosion inhibitor and blast it into the drain holes on the inside of the fender wells. I know correlation doesn't imply causation but it couldn't hurt and I don't have any rusted out fender wells yet!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks