• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In tank fuel pic up assy.

Bill W

I threw out my intank filter on my 37 !, who needs to be stuck on the side of the road with a plugged filter in the tank!! I then installed this universal marine spinon filter ( $25.00) and also a 24v backup elec pump. The filter is a NAPA 3225 ( 12micron ). Just a thought :D

Attachments

K9m37

Sometime in the past, a previous owner of my rig used clear silicone to seal the top of the tank. Much of it fell inside the tank. Coincidently, the bead of silicone is the exact same size as my pickup tube. aua

I recovered as many peices as I could see in gas, drained the tank twice. After stalling out for the 10th time in the worst places possible, I fabbed up a screen mesh sock and secured it with a hose clamp. Similar to a sump pump filter for a pond. Works excellent! I use a universal disposible see-through gas filter near the mechnical fuel pump, just to keep an eye on things. Helps for troubleshooting too.

Hope this helps!

CGarbee

Years ago I acquired a stock in tank filter unit from John Bizal at Midwest Military... I never used it (it's on a shelf somewhere in the shop). Instead, I have a fine mesh brass screen over the end of a straight pickup tube in the tank. A very nice pair of spin on filters is mounted on the engine block next to the lift pump (did I mention that this is on the truck with the Cummins 4BT?) and I am installing the same setup on the pickup tube for the XM708 with the stock engine and fuel pump (and will put a spin on filter in line similar to Bill's).
Even with a tank that has been "tanked" and epoxy coated inside and out, you never know what might get inside and clog you up, and it's a lot easier to fix a clogged filter that isn't in the tank... And a little air pressure to backflush the line from the external filter back is all that is needed if you get something into the line past the screen (hasn't happened yet...).
Plus, it's a lot less expensive than the in-tank filter that was specified.

Bill W

RE: fuel Pump

James
I got that one years ago from a buddy who had about 30 of them., he has long since passed away and so have the pumps. I do see them on e-pay now and then$$. Whats funny is the one for my 37 was 7 psi which would be perfect for the deuce and now since I'm looking for one for my deuce all I have found was 4psi which would be perfect for the 37! oh well

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: fuel Pump

Now that you mention it I have one on a M715 I got a couple of years ago, it may do the job for me.
James G.