• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inflation and MEP replacement parts

Chainbreaker

Whats the carbon footprint on them horses. Likely to get cancelled along with the cows. šŸ¤£
Ok you asked for it and I was curious as well...

JULY 31, 2019 BY HORSES

"What is the carbon footprint of a horse compared to an automobile?
David Mason-Jones in an article in Hoofbeats states that a horse is a carbon ā€œsinkā€. Interestingly, he states that ā€œthe biomass of a horse is a carbon sink in the same way as the biomass of a tree in a forest is a carbon ā€˜sink.ā€™ā€
The digestive process of horses produces far less methane than the digestive system of cattle and sheep. Cattle, sheep, and certain other grazing animals are known as ruminants because their gut contains a rumen. The rumen is a part of the ruminantā€™s digestive system that breaks down tough grasses found in natural pastures. In breaking down the tough grasses, the bacteria in the rumen release large amounts of methane gas. The ruminant animal then belches out the methane gas.
The horse is not a ruminant. The digestive system of a horse cannot break down the tough grasses as a cow or sheep can. The horse has a single stomach which can only deal with easily digestible carbohydrates in grasses. Horses are selective grazers and will not eat the tougher grasses because they cannot digest them. Horses simply produce less methane in their digestive system.
So the horseā€™s carbon footprint is considerably smaller than an automobileā€™s."

Of course our 4 horses only equal "4 true HP". Car/truck maintenance = Mechanics, tires & fuel etc. Horse maintenance = Veterinarian, horse shoes & hay etc. Hay prices are going up out here even with it looking like a good hay season this summer its now sitting at ~$26/100 lb bale.
There are no cheap rides anymore! :( Now that's quitethe segue from "MEP parts inflation" to horses!
:deadhorse:

Last edited:

sportman

Folks you all have forgotten that the green thing individuals buying electric cars are saving environment and the planet from using fossil fuels. But the Ignatowskis have ignored the origin of the lithium used to make the batteries comes from. Worst they sit in gas station 45 min. to an hr. charging these things alone in the vehicle wearing a mask. But then again Miami is a different country in the U.S.

Chainbreaker

Folks you all have forgotten that the green thing individuals buying electric cars are saving environment and the planet from using fossil fuels. But the Ignatowskis have ignored the origin of the lithium used to make the batteries comes from. Worst they sit in gas station 45 min. to an hr. charging these things alone in the vehicle wearing a mask. But then again Miami is a different country in the U.S.
Here's a photo illustration of your point & an interesting article on Lithium mining:

Diesel Vs Lithium Batteries.jpg

Furthermore, here's a rather ironic photo...

Diesel EV Charging Station.jpg

Last edited:

jmenende

Chainbreaker

Post that on Facebook and the so called fact checkers will call it misinformation and ban it. They will say its missing context and claim the kids were looking for diamonds and the genny is not running. :)
Well that's Facebook for ya... I would have to correct those so called FB Fact Checkers & point out that when the photo of the diesel genset is zoomed up you can see the exhaust flapper (hinge is on left/clamp bolt on right) is at a 45 deg angle showing the "genset is running" & the clear exhaust indicates engine is running properly. As far as the lithium mining challenge authenticity... my counter to that would be for them to please show pictures of various large scale commercial lithium mining operations and just how green those are.

My wife's 3.0L diesel SUV on hi-way with a bit of in-town driving is getting 31+ mpg with a 600 mile range! On road trips those EV's that passed us by on hi-way were later seen parked in charging stations as we passed them by with our 1/2 tank of diesel fuel left. They do a double take when they end up behind the vehicle they passed an hour or so earlier on long trips. :unsure: Last summer at an Interstate rest stop an EV guy parked next to us got out as we were walking back to car & asked us what our diesel mileage was. When I told him our last fuel stop showed we were getting 33 MPG & range was typically in the 550 - 600 mile range. His bottom jaw dropped.

BTW, I'm not totally against EV's but until the long-term EV ownership financial models (accounting for battery replacement, etc.) & driving range between charging are better I'm not diving in to the EV world anytime soon. When they are, I also might go off the grid completely with solar for house & also use my diesel generators to charge my EV's! :cool:

kayak1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a photo illustration of your point & an interesting article on Lithium mining:

View attachment 869956

Furthermore, here's a rather ironic photo...

View attachment 869957
Most lithium for cars are extracted from water via pumping into pools and letting the water evaporate.

In any case we will see lithium minded in the USA soon possibly by other methods.

One day I will build one of these:
having it tow a MEP-803a would be rather cool.

Chainbreaker

Yes, EV's are certainly the wave of the future no doubt that is driving recent & future industry changes.

However, the lithium batteries powering them are not as safe and green as they are made out to be:

UPS 747 Crash Highlights Lithium Battery Danger - FLYING Magazine

Lithium Battery Led to Fiery Death in Tesla Crash, NTSB Says - Levinson and Stefani Injury Lawyers (levinsonstefani.com)

Electric mobility is hot, but its lithium-ion batteries are burning (thenextweb.com)

The scooter fire, in the link just above, in the elevator is particularly unnerving!

I'm not a EV basher by any means, but I'll wait until they are safer & more economical with better mileage range between charging.

However...I guess by then the Lithium battery industry along with the Utilities & Solar industries will follow the same path of raising their prices, as the Fossil Fuel Industry did, once it becomes a commodity that folks become totally dependent & hooked on. :(

Our local rural electric utility provider recently announced a hike to the base monthly charge vs a hike in KWH usage rates. I'm beginning to wonder if things like LED lighting, solar panels, solar hot water, etc. are impacting Utilities KWH consumption demand?

Unless your method of transportation is walking, biking, sailing, etc. It always seems to be a case of "Pick Your Poison"...

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Inflation and MEP replacement parts
This is the title of this thread. The last few pages, do not reflect that title. Since you all seem to be paying members, I would suggest you all start a Mess Hall conversation, to continue this conversation. That would be a much better place.
I'm the guilty one who started down this path by bringing up the subject of recent Diesel fuel price hikes & as to how it could impact parts costs (mfg & transportation) in the civilian market. I agree this thread wandered off the path a bit regarding "Inflation & MEP replacement parts" & the discussion that has ensued now belongs in the Mess Hall.

However, I won't be joining any discussions in the Mess Hall since I'm only a "contributing member" by association & not a "paying member" as I am not selling anything (at least not yet) & don't belong to any other discussion categories that require paid membership at this time.

Now, back to Inflation & MEP replacement parts...

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
The "81 million" should be led in shackles to the town's square and then tared and feathered one at a time, With Biden, Schumer & Pelosi being first in line.........

(Probably inappropriate comment, but what the heck, for the fun off it)
If I expressed my true feelings, Iā€™d be on another watch list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks