• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Info on 20" x 11" Take-A-Part wheel

forklift

First, let me say that although I've only been registered to this site for a very short time, I've been perusing it for months. I just drove my first(surely not my last) deuce home yesterday. Needless to say, I'm very excited. The avatar picture is my new truck. I've dubbed it the turtle because it's so green and so slow.
I decided to insert my stupid newby question here: My truck is a non-turbo continental multi fuel. I drove it home last night. I asked the guy I bought it from how fast I could go and he said 55. That put the rpms at about 2800. When I got home I read a post saying that 2800 was not good. If so, what is?
Well...anyways, to the point. Since I decided I wanted a deuce of my very own, I was sure I would go the super singles route. I've been looking at everything posted on this site to find out what was involved. Yesterday I found a posting that talked about Hayes Lemmerz International, Inc. and thier 20" x 11" Take-A-Part wheel, designed for the M35 2½-ton truck ESP Program. The guy who posted(sorry I don't remember who) said he had tried repeatedly to find out how much it would be get some. He had asked them by e-mail about batches of 100 or so rims, and had apparently not even gotten a reply. So, to try and make this long story longer, I e-mailed and recieived a reply next day(today). It goes like this:

This is not an active production part that we run on a regular basis. We require a minimum order of 500 pieces plus a set-up charge to run these wheels.

Regards,
Dan Kohn
Sr. Account Manager
Hayes Lemmerz International, Inc.
Ph: 734-737-5655
Fax: 734-737-5955
http://ch.hayes-lemmerz.com

I've noticed that some of you have tried to coordinate junkyard runs, and have talked about getting something together for good six hole 20" rims. Quick math would tell you that to get together for 500 rims, there would have to be 71 people all wanting 7 of them. That may be rediculous, but I'm a dreamer with a deuce and I wantum'.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
forklift,
I too am trying to go the super single route. But as usual, I hear the beat of a different drummer. I won four new Michelin XDY-1 retreads on 6 hole bud wheels that are 22.5 inches via an ebay auction.

I have a local big rig truck parts company up north of Denver that has several of them that I will be purchasing another for 22.5 6 hole bud wheels. Then I will get two NEW tires (steer tires can NOT be retreads - DOT law) for the front and two new Michelin XDY-1 retreads as spares. The guy wants $75 each so I haven't gone out yet to purchase them.

Randy Barnes is a member here and he's the one who sent me out to see them.

If you have any questions regarding these wheels, let me know. jim

rizzo

wallew said:
Then I will get two NEW tires (steer tires can NOT be retreads - DOT law) for the front and two new Michelin XDY-1 retreads as spares.
sounds like you are going at the problem sideways.(thinking outside the box)

I think retreads on the steers is a common misconception. I know a guy who runs retreads on steers. He only uses virgin casings and he runs mostley local or tristate.
In the following link a DOT inspector states that it is illeagal for buses to use retreads on the steer axle.

I have two 5 tons and was looking at using 10 hole buds, but I have not seen a tire that will match the 1600-20 michelin in height. They may make one, but I don't think it is common.

forklift

hello jim,
I do have a few questions about those wheels.first, how wide are they? I like the look of the military singles, but they look pretty wide. second, how tall of a tire can you put on a deuce without modifying it? I've look at the one guy on here who has that incredible deuce with the 16.00 20's. That is the coolest thing I've ever seen, but it sounds like he did a lot of work. I'm relatively new to this whole deal (this is my first full day as an owner/dreamer, not just a dreamer) and I'm not even sure what things like 1600 20's mean(other than I know the 20 is the rim size). I am already in love with this truck and cannot wait to do the singles swap, but money is also an issue(same as most people I'm sure). I guess the only other question is do you have some pictures of your rims?Maybe even an ebay auction number so I could take a peek at what they are like? Thank you very much, jake

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
forklift,

Here is the ebay auction. They have four pictures. I REALLY LOVE THESE TIRES. They are almost 41 inches tall. They are 275/80R/22.5's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4607082634&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Rizzo,
I'm NOT trying to be stupid, but RandyLBarnes works for a trucking company and his conversation with the company safety officer is what HE said is DOT law. So, it sounds like it's time for a little internet research on my own. IF DOT does NOT require new tires for steer tires, it certainly makes things easier AND much cheaper. SO, back to the internet for more research. THANKS rizzo.

I'll report back. THE LAST THING I NEED is a very expensive ticket for the wrong set of tires on the front.

Elwenil

It wasn't that long ago that I went through school for all of this and I still remember the hard points of it. Rizzo and Mcinfantry (Nice to see you still on the net, Lee!) are correct. You can run retreads on the steering axle except on passenger buses. Some states may have stricter regs but that is the Federal DOT law. I will say that it's probably not a wonderful idea to run retreads up front since if you loose a rear, you still have 7 other tires there and if you loos e a front it can be a wild ride. Of course we don't deal with the weights and speeds that a road tractor sees in normal use so you can probably get away with it no problem. I'd still keep a close watch and inspect often for tread seperation though, just to be safe. Just my .02

rizzo

I never used any recaps for steer tires on my trucks.

I plan on useing some for my 5ton on 1600-20 casings. i will inspect them often and don't think I will have much of a problem. The key to a recap is the casing. I will be using virgin casings. If I was going to be driving alot of highway miles I would not use recaps on steers. If I drive it on the highway on a long trip I will take the caps off

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I FINALLY had a long chat with the officers at the Colorado Highway Patrol office here in Denver.

They said AS LONG as it was a privately owned vehicle and it WAS NOT used for commercial purposes, I could run recaps on the front.

Having said that, I await the report from Randy Barnes, who is checking out a set of seven new Michelins with about 75% rubber on them. If they have ANY KIND of a lug pattern AND they tire company will take me brand new retreads in for four of their tires, I will purchase all seven of them. If not, I will probably either keep looking or just get some retreads on virgin cases, which are what my four are now.

I have been told to NEVER run retreads on the front by numerous people. While I do understand why, I am running NDCC tires that are definately less safe than running retreads for a while. Plus I have no intention of using them for anything but just running around town at lower speeds. I realize that it could still be dangerous.

You pay your dues and takes your chances - I could be run over by an inattentive driver as I walk my dogs - so who CAN predict the future. I hope Randy is successful. I'll know more tomorrow and will report back.

jim

Desert Rat

Lee and other interested folks,

I have lost a steer on my semi before, not my Deuce. Although I didn't roll over, it definitely gained my attention and the need to change skivvies in a hurry! The whole wheel and spindle assembly came off after the shop repaired the leaking wheel seal. The challenge was not to let the remaining good tire fold under the truck. I bent tie rod ends and a bunch more parts keeping her up on 17 wheels. She bucked a good one on me too. I had three times where the front end wanted to jump the road because of the weight on the good tire wanted to transfer to the wounded side. I kept her up and got her off to the side of the road. That was the LOOOONGEST 1/3 mile I ever drove in my life!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks