• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

injection pump number

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

Just a quick question... is the DB2 4521 injection pump available from various rebuild outlets the same as the DB2829 4521 pump on the cucv? (I am hearing conflicting stories-- some places are saying that they are the same-- some say they aren't)............ On another note, is there a heavier duty pump that can be fitted-- if so, whats the number?

thanks

Ziggy

CCATLETT1984

iirc the newest HD pump is the 4911 (its for a turbo-charged application)
that pump is the same as your pump, you may need to recalibrate the fuel settings (unless they rebuild it knowing its going in a J code engine)
there are no special parts used in the cucv pumps.

majortom

Every time a modification was made at stanadyne the pump got a different number all of the CUCV pumps are obsolete due to the plastic weight ring, thats the part that fails, jams up the governor and the pump doesn't get any fuel that part was changed in about 1990 the fuel delivery curves are different for different model years and applications. The recurving of the fuel delivery is tricky i have seen many bad results from independent pump shops, a lot of times they guess at what will work, if you ask for the fuel curve for an older larger truck application I.E. 1986 C60, you will get a curve that is designed for a lax emission standard and peak power out put, the only thing that i have found politically incorrect about this pump is that the engine tends to emit a fair amount of black smoke when pulling heavy loads at full throttle fuel mileage is pretty good on this pump as you don't have your foot to the floor all the time, the civilian late eightys and early nintys pump is too lean, so you loose power the 6.5 pump doesn't work well as it is governed to a lower RPM.

CCATLETT1984

the 6.5 pump is not governed lower. it has the same 3600rpm redline.

be sure you tell them you have a J code engine (its medium duty, the same as put in the bigger trucks)

call around, you are sure to have a large diesel shop within a hour or two of your house. most places that rebuild turbo's also do injector pumps.