• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a Amp for speakers in CUCV!

SuperchargedRS

Well I just ordered off for the last bit of everything (as the kickpanel mounts and dashpad were out of stock) for the truck (as I want to just spend like 2 days straight and have the thing done), so I will be posting the pics of it all in a little under a week from now.

-SuperchargedRS

SuperchargedRS

Right now I have most everything I need for the audio, I got the new dash pad and such as well (all black), though I still need my door panels to get in (B/O from LMC 2wks) and find a set of pwr window regulators for the front and rear, once I get everything I will get it all done together.

I think that when you work on a vehicle as you use it it never gets done, or at least never gets done properly.

Soon though, HOWEVER if you would like to make a donation to the help me get all my chit fund...that another matter lol

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am surprised I am the first one to say anything, but SuperchardedRS I believe you need to give a actual location. It does happen to be one of the only rules here.

SuperchargedRS

-----------UPDATE-----------

Here is the mock up for the rear 6x9 speakers,

they will be about 48" from the driver (pass speaker to driver), which means that all the speakers will have a range to driver to pass of +-1", so the sound imaging should be good.

Attachments

SuperchargedRS

Here are the rear 6x9 mounting pods, all ready to be welded, after that I will heat and massage any imperfections out of them, sandblast, weld in truck, then the truck is off to get line-Xed (as I will also line X these).
One thing not in the pics is the speaker grille, I found a square black with steel screen unit made my "Best Kits" it looks very 80s and fits the truck like a gem (unlike the over-styled Infinity units), after all part of restoring a vehicle is a touch of forgery! lol

Attachments

gt1009

I was just wondering, how do you plan to get the wires to the speakers, seeing that the doors have no wiring harness? Will you drill one in or wire through the floor? Also, when I put mine in I will just be using a head unit and 4 speakers, no amp. Is it ok to run the power off the rear battery? I am wondering because I already have my air horns running off the front battery and I don't want to draw too many amps off of it. Should I move the horns, or should I put both on the front battery. Also, my truck is 12 volts, and I don't know how many amps the stereo draws but it is from a 98 mustang (I'm getting it free).

AJMBLAZER

I ran the wires into my doors by using the small space between the bottom hinge and the "dimple" they sit over. You can just see them when you look at where the top of the lower hinge hits the metal. If you can't...take a screw driver and clean off the muck and crap sitting on top of it. I did that and whalla...there was a small space just enough to wedge speaker wire through.

I stuck the wires through a factory access hole a few inches higher in the door frame that is on the level as the kick panel and then drilled a hole on the interior side behind the Kick panels. Stuck the wires through there from the inside, fished the wire through to the factory access hole, and then down to the doors and to the speaker. Wasn't easy but you really can't see any of my work. I sealed the holes with a gob or two...or three of RTV silicone. It's not pretty but hey, it's sealed.

mangus580

No, its not ok to use your rear battery for power. The issue is, most electronic equipment is not isolated from 'ground' and will make a good spark show if you try to hook it up....

CCATLETT1984

mangus580 said:
No, its not ok to use your rear battery for power. The issue is, most electronic equipment is not isolated from 'ground' and will make a good spark show if you try to hook it up....
MIKE, HE HAS A 12VOLT TRUCK, its been converted. So, Yes you can do that with no issues at all since your batteries are run in Parallel.

SuperchargedRS

Why are you running wires into the door?

Your really don’t want to have those stupid door speakers, the fire into you and not UP TO YOU! Get something like the q-form kick panel mounts, they are made for the geometry of our trucks, that's what I have and they rock!

Link to kick panel pods
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZTbmb6uopTY/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=044c10061&search=044C10061

This is how I am doing it:

running street wires 14g over rubber spray coated floor, covering wires in aluminum tape, then comes the LMC thermal matt, then the LMC sound deading mat, then the carpet (front half), the speakers in the dash...you can go junk yard swimming, or get the brackets for the 3.5s from crutchfiled for like 14 bucks, I also got the center speaker from LMC truck (it is the size of the OEM front middle speaker, it just has to 3.5s), I ditched the generic coax 3.5s to match them to the other 2 infinity 3.5s.

For power to deck pwr windows/locks blah blah blah, I ran a 0g wire off my front batt (using a tsunami terminal, as I used for all the batt. terminal connections) that 0g wire goes to a distribution block under my dash pad, from there I have a 10g output to a Painless Wiring circuit isolator (a extra fuse box with hot ignition and constant outputs), I fabricated a mount for that right under my OEM fuse panel, so it looks factory. This circuit isolator also powers my deck.

In my case I also have a 4g wire coming off the distrub. block going to my amp and another 4g going to an inverter under my dash pad that provides 750W a flat box that takes the place on my grille of where my NATO slave jumper was.

.....Well I think that about covers my wiring setup.

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

Well...in my case I went with the "stupid door speakers" because they cost me no more than the speakers cost and some time with the jig saw.

Q-panels are $170 and up just for the panels.

Not to mention I wanted sound, not competition winning sound. It's already louder than sh(t in there so I didn't expect perfect imaging or anything.

Too each their own though.

mangus580

CCATLETT1984 said:
mangus580 said:
MIKE, HE HAS A 12VOLT TRUCK, its been converted. So, Yes you can do that with no issues at all since your batteries are run in Parallel.
Oops, I missed that comment.... (probably because it wasnt stated directly with the question).