• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a Delco 30SI alternator in a M915A1

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About 6 months ago the 24 volt transformer rectifier on my M915A1’s alternator quit working. Since the only thing 24 volts (other than the military trailer lights) on this truck is the starter, I didn’t worry about it and just put the second set of batteries in the series chain on charge periodically to top them off.

After looking around for a new alternator, I decided to install a Delco 30SI clone with transformer rectifier. The 30SI is a brushless design and has the J180 standard mount that the OE alternator uses. This transformer rectifier unit has a 60 amp automotive rectifier and a 3-phase transformer that uses all stator outputs. The 12-24N transformer rectifier on the OE alternator I took out used a single stator lead with 10 amp maximum output.

12-24n.jpgIMG_20170526_140916_267.jpg

The installation is fairly straight forward. Having the truck's air system charged so the fan turns, makes it easier to get the old alternator out and new one back in. The 12-24N transformer on the OE alternator I took out was larger than the alternator body and required a little of finagling to get it out. The new alternator is more streamlined and was easy to get in position. I removed the pulley from the OE alternator and installed it on the new alternator.

IMG_20170526_144921_897.jpg

When I removed the original alternator, I noticed one of the pivot bolts was loose. Also, I had to remove the pivot bolts to get the belts off. When I installed the new alternator, I found out why. The engine pivot mount interferes with the rear mounting tab on the alternator. I looked at the OE alternator and could see the line where the mounting tab was pressed against the engine mount. Whoever installed the original alternator left the bolt loose so they could get the belts on. I think they either forgot to tighten it, or that would have made the belts too tight.

IMG_20170526_145712_174.jpg

I didn’t want to fight getting the belts back on so I pulled the alternator back out and ground some relief in the rear mounting tab so it had full rotation. If I was going to do this a lot, I would have used the mill, but the side grinder worked fine and was quick.

IMG_20170527_122149_624.jpg

When I reinstalled the alternator, the belts went on easy so I think pulling it back out to relive the mounting tab was a good idea. This is a one-wire hookup (two counting the 24 volt wire) so there are no external regulator connections. The wire hook ups are the same as the OE unit I took off.

IMG_20170526_172438_878.jpg

I started the engine and checked the output voltage. The 12 volt side is 14.0 and the 24 volt side is 28.0, all good, an easy and relatively inexpensive upgrade.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of those in the spare parts shed. They work well.

Hammer

I just got a M920, and think the rectifier is toast on it.Do the larger 36SI alternators fit?If not, can the 30SI be upgraded for higher amps?And did I read that right, 60 amps for 24v?

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know about the 36SI fitting. I believe they are only 12 volts or 24 volts depending on which model you get. They are not dual voltage alternators.

The 30SI is 90 amps @ 12 volts. Realistically, I would not expect the 24 volt output to supply more than about 20 amps. My comment about the 24 volt rectifier was related to better durability than the transformer rectifier that was installed on my M915A1.

Hammer

Ah, ok. That makes sense. A 90 amp 12v alt should only be able to do 45 amp 24v max anyway.

I am debating on this route, or just getting a BIG 24v alt and run a battery equalizer to provide all 12v power (or visa versa.)
I did this on my 5 ton and it works great.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am debating on this route, or just getting a BIG 24v alt and run a battery equalizer to provide all 12v power (or visa versa.)
I did this on my 5 ton and it works great.
I considered doing this too. However, the m915A1 is all 12 volts except the starter and the provision to power 24 volt trailer lights. My truck also has air conditioning, but it is all 12 volts and even with that the electrical load is not high. It didn't make sense to add another component that can fail. The cost for the dual voltage alternator was less than buying a 24 volt alternator and equalizer. If the truck was all 24 volts, then I can see the possible advantage in having an equalizer, but not so much in this case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks