• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing new tires on LMTV

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, all!

I'm the proud new owner of a 1994 M1079 LMTV with less than 2500 original miles. It does, however, have three tires with dry rot so I've purchased some good looking used surplus tires and assembled all the tools needed.

I have a basic question, however. Are the tires replaced by splitting the rims or prying them off using tire bars? I suspect that splitting the rims (after letting out all the air, of course) is the correct way to proceed, but just want to be sure. I'm also aware that I should replace the OR420A O-ring. Is there a published procedure for doing this? I can't seem to locate one, though I do have the operators manual and the parts guide.

Thanks,

Sapphire

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Use the thick o rings. You will want to clean the rim parts where they mate. Any rust or corrosion can be lightly sanded and primed. I use rtv in addition to the o ring when putting rims back together to ensure a good airtight seal. And I wait 24hrs to inflate. It is in the tm but not always as straightforward as in print. Having 2 people makes it a lot easier.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Sapphire, the rims have a beadlock inside which makes it impossible to remove the tires in the way most tire folks are familiar. Get a deep socket for your impact wrench and you will figure it out.

https://youtu.be/nTiWCwqxduI

I'm not saying this is how you should do it, but it shows how they come apart. I made my own pry-bar with a nice smooth end, so I can work the rim out without pounding on it or scratching everything up. You can get a real tire hammer, but they are brutal clumsy things that can destroy your rim if you use them wrong.

The sheet metal O-ring retaining flange on the rim is delicate. Be careful you don't bend it like he probably did.

I cringed when he almost got hit by the flying hammer.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea right. First thing in the vid Do Not throw the top ring down on the ground on the O ring sealing side. Plan to spend 1/2 hour working on the rusted bolt threads with wire brush. Buy the correct tire hammer. In less you have a big compressor and a one inch truck impack plan on a good workout as the new nuts you bought are distorted. Tire soap helps. Do the tire standing up on it's side. It is easer if you get two nuts that are not distorted and they are used to pull down the top ring even first. Then put in all distorted then go back and remove the two regular nuts and replace with the distorted nuts.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
distorted nuts = friction lock nuts or (lock nuts) . Also read in the manual , (either the M939 or M35A3) Do not use RTV on the O ring as a sealing agent.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the time my hands are to greasy to make a Utube vid. I have watched some different instruction Utube vid's on other things not mechanical.
I don't even know I would make a vid for the world see even if I knew what I was doing. Now to make one where I did not have a clue is beyond me. As said right tools make any job go so much easer and helps if you know what you are doing. One tire hammer and the hard work is done if you got a one inch impack and a compressor that is one to brag about that is all you need.
And I guess I will brag. The airman only goes to 110 psi and I used a 100 Gal. charge tank so not the highest pressure that some compressors put out but it keeps the volume going. Yes I have a one inch impack and tire hammer.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I switched from the Michelins to the Goodyears. Much smoother ride (more rubber on the road vs riding on knobs). If you're going to be doing mostly road miles I think its the better tire. If you're going to do a lot of offroading then the Michelins are probably better.

FloridaAKM

I have a better way to deal with tire problems right now. Floridianson gave & delivered two LMTV Goodyear tires & rims to fit my M1081 when a tire problem arises. You can't beat that deal, thanks James!

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I switched from the Michelins to the Goodyears. Much smoother ride (more rubber on the road vs riding on knobs). If you're going to be doing mostly road miles I think its the better tire. If you're going to do a lot of offroading then the Michelins are probably better.
The Goodyears do well on the highway. I have run Michelins on Unimogs, including going through 3 complete sets of XL's on a U1300 in 100k km. If you run maximum pressure, or close to it, the Michelins do wear 'lumpier' and make a lot of road noise. Criss-cross rotation helps because the fronts wear worse.

The trick with Michelins is to run them at lower pressure to let the sidewalls flex as they were designed. For example, have 7000 lbs per axle on the U1300 and running 35 psi. There's a chart published by Michelin that gives the recommended reduced pressure for lighter loads.

I just put 4600 miles on a set of Goodyear MVTs on the LMTV, in a month. There is noticeable reduction in height of the tread (!) but no lumpyness, and they have stayed quiet. that was running about 65 psi on the CTIS. That trip probably used 1/3 of the life of the tread on the fronts, and much less on the rear. Time to rotate. Should have done it halfway through the trip.

Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks