• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Instrument cluster problem, 1989 M880

road_toad666

Having issues with the gauge cluster on my 89 M880.. The gauges were loose when I bought it, meaning the forestry commission that had it had the dash apart and the cluster was laying in the seat. The resistor was missing from the back side, the small aluminum box with 3 terminals that switches the 12v provided down to approx. 5 volts that the gauges need.

I went to the local salvage and got 2 of these resistors from junked out civilian trucks. I took them home and plugged them in, and both had the same results. The oil pressure reads about half what it should, and the gas gauge reads half when the tank is full, and makes its way down to empty when the tank is half full. The amp gauge reads correct.

What I was wondering, is maybe the truck was 24 volts at one point in life? Makes sense that if you doubled the voltage, the gauges would read right, seeming as they read half what they should?

The truck shows zero signs of ever having been a 24v truck, there is no ssecond battery tray, no scuffs at the mounting tabs where a second battery tray would've bolted on, no wiring, no nothing.

Has anyone else had this problem? Unfortunately mine is TBI injected- so that may complicate things, although the cluster is strictly analog. I thought about just buying a used cluster and seeing what happens, but figured I'd try here first.

Any help offered is greatly appreciated, TIA.

w200/m880

I would suggest you may not have a cluster problem,i would check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge to the engine or swop sender for a new one to see if that makes gauge work correctly,same with gas gauge your sender may be faulty,swopping out gauges and senders would prove a point before involvolving a auto electrician.As i understand it the 24v set up didnt run through the gauge cluster so that shouldnt be a problem.Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks