• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance in California M35Ax

Status
Not open for further replies.

widescsi

OK, I know some people here have asked about insurance before but here goes another thread specifically for California.
First off I have been told that I will need a minimum coverage of $750,000.00 in liability because the vehicle is over 26,000GVWR. Because of this I have been getting quotes from between $1,400.00 to $2,200.00 per year through Progressive, Geico and Farmers. I have found several carriers that will not insure the vehicle because it is a commercial vehicle AAA, 21st Century. Finally I am aware of several carriers that are for specialty vehicles, Hagerty, Parish but these carriers have limits on what the vehicle can be used for as well as requirements for garage storage etc...
Does anyone in California have any suggestions or ideas on how to get the rates down below the cost of the entire vehicle per year or is my dream of a MV in the driveway slipping away? Second I am looking for the correct way to insure the vehicle as I don't want to pay for insurance only to find that the vehicle or something that I run in to is not covered.

Sean

P.S. Does anyone know if there are any differences for insuring an A2 vs an A3?

RavenTBK

How is it over 26k GVW? The truck, W/W weighs in at about 13.5k. Its designed (rated for) a maximum of 10k payload on pavement. Unless the PRK (Peoples Republik of Kalifornia) uses that new math, that only comes up to 23.5k, 2500 pounds below the magic 26k limit.

Now I am about as far away from California as possible, but if someone from DMV is claiming its over 26k, I would take them outside and show them the dataplate, followed by a thwap upside the head.

pat038536

Mine is insured through GEICO. I talked to a live agent and explained exactly what kind of vehicle it was (M35a2 2.5 light duty cargo truck) and that it will not be used for commercial use. Since I was already a Geico customer, it only added $153.60 per term for liability/uninsured only coverage.

You have to actually talk to an agent. Be clear as to what the vehicle is and what its intended usage is or you will end up with a more expensive commercial policy.

Abert

I would take some pictures off the internet of a duce and a clear picture of a dataplate to my insurance agent and start from there. I think some face to face discusions with insurance agents could get you some different (better)results.

bevanet

I agree that it should not be over 26k gvw. You also don't want this because it will likely require you to have a CDL (commercial drivers license). A CDL requires medical checkups etc and is a pain to maintain unless you are making money from it. I use Gulfway insurance out of Florida. It is specialty, but I don't haul anything and don't drive very much, so it works for me. They do not require it to be garaged. At least you are looking into this before you buy. The other problem I have is keeping them licensed. It took 2 hours for the DMV to figure out how to license them. With a historical plate, they removed many of the weight fees which made the registration price reasonable, however when they sent my renewal, they added the fees back in. I haven't had the desire to go fight with them again yet.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It DOES NOT weigh 26K plus. How are you going to use it? If you are going to use it commercial, you will pay commercial rates. If you are going to use it personal, but as you would a normal truck, you're going to pay a lot there. If you are going to use it for HISTORICAL purposes - shows, parades, civic activity's, boy scouts etc, then you won't pay hardly anything. Register it HISTORICAL and use one of the specialty insurances. Gulfway DOES NOT require a garage or have a mileage restriction.

Mine is registered HISTORICAL and used for club activities suck as the Camp Dirtbag gathering, for civic activities such as parades, static displays, Boy Scouts, etc.

My tags are about 70 per year and the insurance is less than 200 I think. I don't remember. I get to drive it enough to keep me happy.

The best thing you can do is to drive defensively, drive carefully and respectfully. Don't drive like a big man with a big truck and you'll never get anything but a wave from those around you and the LEOs.

You're going to pay depending on how you want to use it.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree that it should not be over 26k gvw. You also don't want this because it will likely require you to have a CDL (commercial drivers license). A CDL requires medical checkups etc and is a pain to maintain unless you are making money from it. I use Gulfway insurance out of Florida. It is specialty, but I don't haul anything and don't drive very much, so it works for me. They do not require it to be garaged. At least you are looking into this before you buy. The other problem I have is keeping them licensed. It took 2 hours for the DMV to figure out how to license them. With a historical plate, they removed many of the weight fees which made the registration price reasonable, however when they sent my renewal, they added the fees back in. I haven't had the desire to go fight with them again yet.
No disrespect, but since you're in AZ, you probably haven't read much on the CA code. 26k OR three axles requires a CDL in CA. The deuce in stock form meets that requirement. Many do not have a CDL and never have a problem because they don't draw attention to themselves and there are plenty of big rigs to chase down, but at least one CA member here has been ticketed.

I'm letting the post 9/11 GI Bill take care of my CDL for me.

widescsi

How is it over 26k GVW? The truck, W/W weighs in at about 13.5k. Its designed (rated for) a maximum of 10k payload on pavement. Unless the PRK (Peoples Republik of Kalifornia) uses that new math, that only comes up to 23.5k, 2500 pounds below the magic 26k limit.
RavenTBK, thank you for questioning this. I went back and pulled TM 9-2320-386-10 page 1-13 and got the correct GVWR of a M35A3 WO/W at 18,900lb. So it's time to call the insurance people again.
I am expecting to register the vehicle commercial as per this thread (1) as I'd like to be able to tow a trailer take a load to the dump, local home improvement store etc and not have to worry if I'm going to get fined.

(1)http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/13273-help-california-licensing-issues.html

Rustygears

I also have been very happy with Gulfway. It costs me only $400 per year. I have my A3 registered in CA as commercial because of the date on the SF97 which makes it too new for Historical plates. I'll avoid the CDL discussion topic, but advise you be very aware that dual rear axles on a vehicle over 6000 lbs. make it a consideration and your responsibility to investigate before you're cited because it's big bucks.

The empty A3 with full fuel and no driver weighs in at 14000 lbs. That's what my weight ticket showed when I weighed the truck to register it. With 5000 lbs maximum rated load (2.5 tons) that makes it a GVW of 19000 lbs, which is exactly what was written on my SF97. If you want to avoid weight fees, you can register it for 15000 GVW and save a bundle, but then cannot haul more than a half ton payload. I did that and if I need to legally haul more, I can buy a trip ticket for the additional weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks