• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance on a M1009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackfoot

I am have issues with insurance for my M1009 from my "good neighbor." Apparently the VIN numbers on the M1009 doesn't comply with their computer system and I was wondering if anybody else has had problems and how did they get around it. I know the VIN has a D instead of a K for 4WD, has a different 2nd and 3rd that I guess designates a government contract vehicle instead of Chevrolet or GMC, and then there is the infamous "J" model diesel code in the VIN.

I appreciate any information anyone else has.

P.S. Also here are pics of the beast, purchase in June from San Antonio. 85 Model with 39,000 miles and pretty solid body but someone stole the pintle hook off the back. It had depot service in '03 with new brakes, shocks, paint, wiper motor, filters, and batteries then apparently just sat in Texas until I purchased it. The batteries were the spiral cell type (dead and wouldn't recharge), rear axle seals were bad and had to be replace along with the new rear pads, new door locks, and changed all the fluids. Fired the first turn of the key after replacing the batteries. Also new tires but couldn't find 4 31x10.50's that matched and didn't have time to wait.

Blackfoot

OK, the pics were too big and I guess got rejected and I do not know how to re-size them down to 640x480 limit.

dilvoy

Blackfoot, My insurance agent has never said anything to me about any issues when I add another CUCV to my policy, but you might tell your agent that your Blazer is a 3/4 ton model and it has a heavy duty Diesel engine, which might account for some minor differences in the vin number. I have found speaking in a calm voice and with a matter of fact attitude helps too.

Jetnoise400

I had a similar 'hiccup' with insuring mine with State Farm. The underwriters said my VIN didn't match what their computer said it should look like. My agent contacted me and passed along their request for a copy of my registration. That was enough for them I guess as I've got it on my policy with all my other vehicles.

ida34

I have know my agent for more than 20 years with may have helped but with Allstate I had no problems. I just got it done July 3rd so I may hear back later. I did tell them that the computer would probably choke on the VIN. The Michigan SOS had trouble with the vin and getting a weight code for registration. I told her to check a full size blazer with a diesel. She was thinking of using the data for an S-10 blazer and I should have just let her do it since my reg fees are based no weight.

Redneck1

I went to ALFA and the agent came out and took pics.It is registered as a 1967 J-20 pick up.$125.00 a year I can't complain.
Of course Alabama might be different.
Redneck1

Blackfoot

Thanks for all the info. I ended up sending her a breakdown of the VIN by digit explaining what each letter was compared to a civilian Blazer, heavier weight and different motor, but still with 1/2 ton blazer codes and she seemed happy with it. Waiting to hear back from the underwriters now... And I didn't mention they already had at least one insured for Jetnoise400 (don't want to ruin the fun for others). I've had insurance with them since I returned to the states in '91 and pay 12.52 a month for an 89 4x4 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 that I got from a NWR in Colorado, so I can't complain too loud.

IBEZKUM

I had a poblem at the DMV. With mine!
It was listed as an 1985, I put it on the insurance policy,
tried to get it registerd, The lady said VIN don't mach
She tried a few times wouldnt go, Tried it as a 1986 it went!!
Many times they list it, as the year it was built, not the year it is!!
Then the insurance company called, said te numbers don't jive!!!
Told Them,,, oop's my mistake,,, it's really an 86 !!! No problem!!!

Jetnoise400

Thanks for watching my back Blackfoot :D But I can't believe that I have the only CUCV insured with State Farm. Ultimately a copy of my registration went to the underwriters, and they gave it the go-ahead, so I wouldn't think you would experience anything much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks