• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

International K-8 trucks

moose97

I was looking over at Olive Drab at some of the trucks used in early WWII and noticed the International K-8 cargo truck. Does anyone have any more info on military IHC K-series trucks (the description says the K-8 was "one of many...International...trucks.")? I have a '49 KBS-6 (2 and a half ton) that I'm restoring, but might think of building a clone of the MV if I could find more info (specifically info on the cargo box, marking and color pattern used). Thanks!

My '49 KBS-6:

IMG_0003.jpg

BTW - the grain box on mine has been removed, and I need something on the back anyway... It looks like this at the moment:

Edit - I just went out and measured the grain box frame - it's 8' (okay, 7'11") by 14'. I read that a deuce and a half (M35 box is 8' by 12', correct? Would it be "close enough" for a clone to just slap a deuce cargo box on the back? If so, how much would a deuce cargo box set me back?

Attachments

Last edited:

moose97

Update - I found the full size version of the Olive Drab photo, plus another pic of a '44 K-8 that's in England:

http://miliblog.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/creative-ideaz-gallery/creativeshow.php?pid=2717

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29485695@N02/7372755152/

(sorry, I can't upload them to SS)

Looks like some sort of wooden drop-side for the box in the full pic... Any idea if this was an IHC specific cargo box, or if it was used on another MV as well?

The one (potential) stumbling block I see is the nose - the older K-series trucks had a simple emblem (like the one in the Flicker pic), whle mine has the later chrome piece (obviously not on a MV). It looks like I could just leave it off and the underside looks the same (except the mounting holes).

Attachments

Last edited:

DieselBob

Can't help with much concrete info but looking at the first pic of the cargo body it appears only the section between the cab and the rear wheels has hinges to fold down. I believe you are correct on the front trim. Looks like a great project. Also I keep looking at the photo of the cargo truck and it appears to me it doesn't have a front emblem. I see the curves stamped into the metal it's self but can't detect the edges of any separate emblem.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Update -
The one (potential) stumbling block I see is the nose - the older K-series trucks had a simple emblem (like the one in the Flicker pic), whle mine has the later chrome piece (obviously not on a MV). It looks like I could just leave it off and the underside looks the same (except the mounting holes).
Can't really speak on that brand but the early Dodge VF they just painted over the chrome cross and ram head on the hoods. You can see where it has worn off over the years and the chrome is coming through.

Attachments

FrankUSMC

Some where I have a WWII photo taken at Camp Lejeune of a Female Marine on a International truck like yours. I will try to find it this week end. One of the few, Frank USMC RET

moose97

Nothing new on the MV part of my restoration, but how 'bout a smokin deal on 9.00x20 tires? $5 a piece doing okay? Old bus tires make me happy (click on my blog link in the sig)...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks