• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introduction from Owego, NY - M715 project

m726

Well I'm a long time lurker, first time poster here, figured I should finally introduce myself and my project...

I have a 1968 M715 that is a LONG term project. Initially (1999) it got a new clutch and was driveable, but shortly there after I went to graduate school in Alaska, got married and the poor truck has been mothballed since late 2002. Hopefully now that we have our own house/garage and my wife is supportive of my "habit" I'll finally be able to get started this coming summer.

Only picture I could find of my truck was back at my old man's garage (see attached)

Basic plan:
- 12v dodge cummins turbo diesel
- NV4500 or Spicer 3053a 5-speed
- NP205 transfer case
- 2.5 rockwell axles w/detroits and front lockout hubs
- 46-49" (up to 14R20) michelin tires on M35A3 rims
- M35A2 PTO winch/bumper in the front

Only odd catch with my truck is it will have a bobbed utility bed...
I originally thought it was a M726 (utility bed version), but the previous fire company had just hack/welded one in place of the stock bed, couldn't find a stock bed and no one would buy the utility bed at the time so I bobbed it.

I have a bunch of parts I've squirreled away over the years for this project, but will still need alot of M35A2 parts...So in the spring I plan on checking out Kublo's Military Surplus in PA (found it thanks to SS) and see what they have.

Attachments

jeeplvr247

Welcome to the site. If you are looking for a parts vehicle there is a '76 M715 i have seen on craigslist for a while that running for $1000 here in michigan. Seems to be a pretty goos deal. Here is the URL: Military Jeep M715

m726

jeeplvr247 - Thanks for the thought and welcome, at this point I might start looking for a full parts M35A2 truck. Problem is if I get a complete M35A2 I probably won't want to take it apart...

The fire company added A LOT of metal to that M715 in MI...and I thought there was a lot of extra metal on mine.

m726

jeeplvr247 - It the same here in NY, rust is the main battle, I was very happy when I found my truck, only rust was the size of a quarter in the drivers side floor board.

dpms101 - Good to see another NY'er, it seems as though there is quite a few people on SS that are in the NY / PA area...

joshuaz223

welcome from central square. Doghead and i live up here in oswego county. (not together) he is a wealth of info and i have an abundance of tools. i have a spare rear rockwell laying in my back yard i removed from my truck. has one rebuilt wheel cylinder and i have the kit for the other. i would let it go very cheap to help you along. had a 715 when i was in California. beat that thing mercilessly in the desert and never had a problem except injuries to passengers bouncing around the cab.

m726

Good to hear, sounds like there are some people here in NY/PA that will be great resources and help to further the green addiction :beer:

I found my M715 on a farm up near the mouth of the Saint Lawrence, it was a ex-fire brush truck from Chamount, NY.

joshuaz223 - I will keep the spare rear rockwell axle in mind here when I start the quest for parts here in the spring.

I haven't searched yet but of curiosity is there any MV chapters or groups in the NY area?