• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP Troubles?

derby

OK, I could use some help.I swaped out the "Antifreeze in oil" Multi. I put the new engine in last night,after a few connections I tried to fire it up. I did purge air at the IP,figured it would fire right up.Not so, I cracked the injector lines thinking there was more air.I was getting fuel ,but it wont fire.I removed the injector and connected the fuel line back on,no fuel spray.I then connected a known good injector same result.is it possable the IP will move fuel,but not enough to open the injector? Or am I missing something. I know one thing these Multi's might be "neat" but My Cummins fires every time!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the fuel pressure at the filters. Should be 65-70 PSI. If not, pos. sucking air, pos. gear pump at the bottom of the IP, or, a nozzle putting compression back into the pump.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the IP known to be in working condition? Is the fuel cut-off mechanism smooth and working and not stuck in "no fuel" setting?
Open the cover and find out.
A relatively simple test of the IP is to check for plunger operation, remove the center plug on the hydraulic head and with the fuel supply cut off, place a small rod in the opening and observe an up-down movement while cranking. I did this on my 8x8 multi and the the rod should move about 1/4 inch. If not, it's stuck in the up position, so you need to tap lightly on it (the rod) to free it.
If there is no smoke from the stack, then there is no fuel.

This test was first suggested by David Doyle (I like to give credit where credit is due, since so much gets lost on the internet).

Any mechanism may size up if not used for a long time, no need to compare apples with oranges...

Like DD says, HTH,

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thinking Bjorn. Forgot about that. That's why mine wouldn't when I first got it. Always do the simplest thing first.

derby

This engine was in my parts truck ,so I know nothing about it.When I removed the injector line at the pump it would push out fuel,not alot but would fill the threaded port.It did not spray out but you could tell when it hit that port ,it would blurb up. as far as i can tell it has ben out of service since 2001-or2002. I am not getting any smoke.If I remove the bleeder port on top of the filters and put a gauge there, will that give me the 65-70# I should have? I will check the head tonight.the fuel cut off seems to work smooth, I will look at it again.

CGarbee

Not that I know much about these...but: If you end up wanting to put a new head on it, I still have that new one in the box that I tried to send to Bjorn when he was deadlined during his trip to CA. UPS found it and returned it (a month later...).

Good luck with it.

derby

Ok plunger tested good, about 1/4" or less of movement.with the in tank pump on I got about 8# on top of filter can port ,about 12# when cranking.Could the booster pump on the IP be the trouble?

derby

I ended up changing the booster pump,no differance.So I replaced the IP with a spare I had.Runs very well now,i still wonder what was wrong with the one I removed.anyone ever have one rebuilt?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks