• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IronClad assurance on GovPlanet

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed on GovPlanet most of the vehicles listed have the IronClad assurance inspection that is outlined here. Looks like it just means someone working for the online auction house personally inspected the item and documented the info. On the flip side, when a vehicle does not have the IronClad assurance, does this mean something is probably wrong with the item? For instance, I bought a parts truck from a small city in South Texas where the auction listed stated the typical "no response from engine when key turned; no operational check could be done". I was easily able to track down the person who listed the truck so I knew what I was getting into (cracked cam follower on a M923 that is causing a knock). I wouldn't expect one of the GovPlanet inspectors to drive the 6+ hour round trip from San Antonio just to look at one truck so I'm sure that's the reason why it didn't have IronClad assurance. But then again, it had a visibly cracked cam follow that wasn't described in the writeup or was in any of the pics so maybe it was hidden on purpose by not having the IronClad inspection.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on items on GovPlanet without the IronClad assurance.

Mods: feel free to move to another forum if appropriate but there is a lot of GovPlanet experience here I'd like to tap into before the post is moved to the lifeless auction forum.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a fork lift from them with “Ironclad assurance”, supposedly fully operational, when it arrived, numerous hydraulic components were smashed and the main mast cylinder was frozen, GP told me “Oh sorry, see the fine print, hydraulics not covered by our Ironclad bs assurance”. As far as I am concerned its worthless.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What?!? You didn't read the fine print before you bought an item? For shame....

:rules:

I just read the fine print myself and found this: specific items that are not covered include (a) conditions that can be identified only through the operation of a machine on a job site or under load capacity (e.g., digging, pulling, lifting, etc.), (b) operating the machine through the full range of speeds required to evaluate all forward and reverse gears, (c) replacement or addition of attachments to the machine, (d) disassembly, (e) use of diagnostic or test equipment to evaluate characteristics such as engine compression, and (f) electrical systems, hydraulic systems, and leaks of any kind (including fluid and tires), and (g) cosmetic damage which does not impact the performance or standard operation of the Equipment.

It does make the IronClad kinda worthless...

Last edited:

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My old auto parts store warranty was 5 years, 5,000 miles, or 500 feet. Which ever one comes first. Just about as good :)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought some welders from them without ironclad assurance. They were described as 3phase and INOP. They were single phase and fully functional.

We bought a truck with their ironclad assurance. No mention was made of coolant in the oil. One of the liners had let go, and all the coolant had dumped into the oil. Not covered.

I place no value on the ironclad assurance. The lack of ironclad assurance simply means "we didn't look".

Caveat emptor.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed on GovPlanet most of the vehicles listed have the IronClad assurance inspection that is outlined here. Looks like it just means someone working for the online auction house personally inspected the item and documented the info. On the flip side, when a vehicle does not have the IronClad assurance, does this mean something is probably wrong with the item? For instance, I bought a parts truck from a small city in South Texas where the auction listed stated the typical "no response from engine when key turned; no operational check could be done". I was easily able to track down the person who listed the truck so I knew what I was getting into (cracked cam follower on a M923 that is causing a knock). I wouldn't expect one of the GovPlanet inspectors to drive the 6+ hour round trip from San Antonio just to look at one truck so I'm sure that's the reason why it didn't have IronClad assurance. But then again, it had a visibly cracked cam follow that wasn't described in the writeup or was in any of the pics so maybe it was hidden on purpose by not having the IronClad inspection.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on items on GovPlanet without the IronClad assurance.

Mods: feel free to move to another forum if appropriate but there is a lot of GovPlanet experience here I'd like to tap into before the post is moved to the lifeless auction forum.

The "IronClad" insurance is only given on items inspected by an IP/GP inspector and for "visual condition and defects only". So any internal issues, water in oil, etc are not covered and is consistent with other members' experiences. Items on IP/GP without the insurance are either inspected by the customer or are unique enough that the inspector doesn't have a way to verify condition (risk management). I've had 3 claims with GP and fought hard and won all 3. One was an internal issue of water in the oil and they claimed checking the oil was not part of the visual inspection. I disagreed as the purpose of a dipstick is to perform a visual inspection.:roll:

There are some exceptions to the rules for the "Ironclad Insurance" and they seem to change everyday, i.e. a certain Midwestern Surplus company can directly list items without an IP/GP inspector present at all. Certain expensive items must be inspected and other low risk items can be inspected by the customer. Some get it and some don't, but for the majority they only get it if the inspector does it.

As for your 6 hour trip comment, they will make the drive but they will line up other items in the area to make the trip worth it. From my standpoint, the truck may bring more money if assume to not run due to batteries or something small than an internal issue. This is speculation of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks