• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IronPlanet Purchase Process Timeline/chronology

71DeuceAK

(Admin/mod: If this isn't in the appropriate section or is otherwise deemed inappropriate, feel free to move or delete this).

So I'm looking at buying my first truck at auction, an M927A2. I've skimmed through several threads in this section but none answered my basic question. Sure, I can read through their purchase terms, etc. But can someone who has actually been through this a few times before give me a layman's terms explanation of what happens, in what order? I just want to make sure I fully understand the titling process, registration, etc. I know they issue the SF97, which can be taken to someplace like DMV to get plates and proper registration. (No, I'm not asking about insurance at this point, I know that's kind of a no-no topic here, understandably). Basically, what happens in what order if I were to win an auction? I know there's 8 days to get it removed from the site or start incurring storage fees, and after 60 days it's considered as abandoned property, etc and then they dispose of it as per their abandoned property policy procedures.

I realize this may seem like an extremely elementary question, but I thought this thread might also help other newbies in the future. Thanks in advance!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1) bid and win.

2) pay within 3 days by means of wiring funds.

3)receive release code.

4)you or your representative pick up truck withing 8 business days.

5) wait for SF97/title. I have experienced timeframes between 4 weeks and 13 months.

71DeuceAK

Thanks, 98G!!!

So technically of course it wouldn't be street legal until I get my SF97 so I could get a title, obviously, and this one would be shipped since auction trucks are kind of a gamble mechanically. Are there any major problems I'd run into when trying to get it registered if the truck is being stored in Wisconsin and I'm in Alaska for the moment? As in, sure, they could mail me my SF97, but is DMV just going to laugh at me when I take it there to try to get it registered without them seeing the truck, since it's in another state? Can I get the plates and then once I get to the truck put the plates and tags on then?

My apologies if these are some of the stupidest questions you've ever seen. Thanks for your help so far!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to ask some of these questions to the AK DMV. Each state is different in what they will allow depending on how you're registering it. In TX I can go in with the paperwork and ask for a Former Military Vehicle Registration and they never see the truck other than a picture I have to bring for their records and the truck could be in Guam and they don't care. I seriously doubt AK has anything similar so you need to talk to them versus a bunch of guys in different states that are all going to tell you different things.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, 98G!!!

So technically of course it wouldn't be street legal until I get my SF97 so I could get a title, obviously, and this one would be shipped since auction trucks are kind of a gamble mechanically. Are there any major problems I'd run into when trying to get it registered if the truck is being stored in Wisconsin and I'm in Alaska for the moment? As in, sure, they could mail me my SF97, but is DMV just going to laugh at me when I take it there to try to get it registered without them seeing the truck, since it's in another state? Can I get the plates and then once I get to the truck put the plates and tags on then?

My apologies if these are some of the stupidest questions you've ever seen. Thanks for your help so far!
One thing to check on/think about is the age of the truck can greatly affect how the DMV and YOUR insurance company will handle the truck. Check with them ASAP on this before you have to bid. It sounds like you understand the no insurance post rules, and hopefully I haven't violated with this comment.

71DeuceAK

Thanks Jbulach, great point! It's a '91, so it's now officially over 25 years old, which could potentially mean historic? But I don't want the mileage restrictions, unless they're at least say 5K/year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks