• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a M1009 right for me?

LeadHead

I currently have a 1979 Chevy K10. Around 140,000 miles, and there is a delay in Reverse. That truck has been pretty unreliable to me (many road side redneck rigging :mrgreen: ). The truck gets about 8mpg, which is really hurting my wallet. I'm 16, but I do have a job. I pay 100% for everything regarding my vehicles/toys.

I've been looking at a M1009 from a member on this forum. She sits the majority of her life, but is started every once in a while on the farm. It seemed to be in pretty good condition minus a few little things. The locking hubs wont stay locked, so he's throwing in another axle for $150 for a total price of $1650. What are some things I should look for? Would the m1009 be a reliable (atleast more of AS reliable as the K10)? I've been lurking around on this forum for a while learning and taking in. Love the forum...thanks yall!

Also, I plan on a 4in lift with 35" tires. Will the 35's tear up the little 10 bolts? Would re-gearing it fix it? 3.73? I will do a good bit of mild off-roading, but mostly pavement pounding. Daily driver.

Bighurt

$1650 for M1009...sold

It's a CUCV they all have issues for the uninformed. Most people don't understand the electrical system which is the big problem they have. I think all MV's can be reliable if you know the TM's keep them maintained and don't abuse them. But then again that goes for pretty much all vehicles.

I think your K10 has a stuck valve or a hole in the vacuum system.

I won't go into the tires and such my opinion probably isn't the widly excepted answer.

LeadHead

$1650 for M1009...sold

It's a CUCV they all have issues for the uninformed. Most people don't understand the electrical system which is the big problem they have. I think all MV's can be reliable if you know the TM's keep them maintained and don't abuse them. But then again that goes for pretty much all vehicles.

I think your K10 has a stuck valve or a hole in the vacuum system.

I won't go into the tires and such my opinion probably isn't the widly excepted answer.
Thanks a lot for the quick response!

Yeah, price seems fair to me!

Ok, I will do some reading on the system. I'll admit the 24/12 system confuses the heck out of me.

Think so? I'm going to do a filter and fluid change soon. Got all the stuff...just need the time now! Selling that thing for $1800, so I will have some money to drop on the M1009 right away. M1009 also comes with some dry rotted and cracked 31" Swamper Thornbirds for free.

Fair enough :beer:

DieselJunkie

That is a good deal like he said up top keep it maintained and it will take you everywhere and the ladies like em to:) i payed $2000 for mine tax and all it's been the best $2000 i have ever spent so far.

JSF01

The M1009 can be a very reliable vehicle for the most part, but it is a 25 year old truck. It will develop problems (assuming it does not have any currently) fortunately most should be relatively simple fixes. Parts are not too bad in price as most are stock Chevy parts except for when it comes to the electrical system. As long as you are mechanically minded it should be a fine truck, I have used mine as a daily driver now for about 3 years now.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd make sure it has minimal rust, pass on the extra axle. I'd get it and look for a set of axles from an older GM. Like a 70's 1/2 ton with a 12 bolt in the rear and dana 44 in front with 3.73's. They will bolt in and be cheap and use the same rims.

Varyag

If it is in good shape I think you would not regret buying that one bit. I absolutely love mine. It is such a fun truck. Seriously, if I saw that i would pick it up in a second.

epitts

I did not buy mine for a daily driver but find myself driving it every day. The last tank was about 18 mpg just running back and forth to work. Seem like the more I drive it the better it runs.

BIG_RED

My 1986 M1009 cost me $4000 with 67,000 Miles on her. Where I live, you'd be hard pressed to find an operational, American 4X4 that isn't rusted out for much less. They are reliable as long as you take very good care of them. Also, don't beat on it when it's cold. I let mine run for 5+ minutes before I drive it (I fire it up while I let the dog out and lock up the place). Don't rev it. 6.2's don't last at high RPMs. I don't press the gas pedal hard enough to engage downshift. I don't drive over 60 MPH. Keep money around to replace some stuff. I've replaced about every rubber part on the thing (every hose, etc). Check fluids for contamination and change them if it's been sitting a long time. Spin-on fuel filters are a good idea if she's hard to start. Mine gets 18+ MPG, but I drive 50 MPH almost the whole way. Mine has 33's on the original ten bolts. On the road, ten bolts are fine. Just be gentle with them off road.

idM1028

:ditto:
Eh, they're not too bad if you're willing to put up with some of the "oddities" (mostly electrical for what its worth) and lack of creature comforts (Power nothing, no radio or A/C, etc. It should be noted that some people have managed to put this stuff in http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/27571-cucv-build-here-we-go-again.html ) Other than that they're great trucks: You can pick them up for a song with low miles, the fuel economy's pretty good, they're easy to work on and if not, we're here to help!

wayne pick

Get the truck and fimiliarize yourself with it. Check belts, hoses, fluids. Get a digital multimeter, It is a very important tool when it comes to these trucks. Save the lift kit and ginormus tires for later. Get it roadworthy as a daily driver first. As BIG RED said, No over revving and warm it up good in cold weather. 6.2s have a bad rep, if u don't beat it it will last forever. Read up on your TMs, threads, Tons of info. Good luck with your new truck! Everyone here will give u good advice and help when u need it.

LeadHead

Thanks a lot of the help everyone! Looks like I will be getting that M1009 whenever I get my truck sold.

As for the comfort level...aint any worse than my K10. I aint got a heater/defroster or A/C. Just drove about 50 miles with the windows down in 30 degree weather to keep it from fogging up my windows. :mrgreen:

I can put a radio in no problem. Just wired one up for my truck.

It's a Farm Use vehicle now but it has a current inspection. Running on red diesel right now. :beer:

LeadHead

Alright guys. Sold my truck and hopefully bringing a '09 back home with me on Tuesday. :beer:

I think I'll take that axle, but see if he can drop the price a little bit. I wanna go ahead and swap the axle on Thursday.

67_C-30

Good luck with it! I absolutely love mine. I would recommend staying away from huge tires. The 6.2 is not a powerhouse, and unless you turbocharge it, its going to be a dog with big tires. Been there, done that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks