• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is my piston good?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The HMMWV stopped running and after pulling the heads thinking it was a headgasket. I noticed one of the pistons was a bit damaged, Looks like a glow plug had broken off into the cylinder.
And got mashed. Do you think it's worth resurfacing or new engine?
Yessir, looks like it ate a glowplug.

Like @spankybear said, roll the engine down (piston down) and see what your cylinder wall looks like. If that isn't terribly scarred, you might be okay...

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As RWH said if the cylinder walls look good replace that piston, it has allot of damage around the edges of the piston, likely collapsing the ring lands.
That is not however your coolant problem, have that head looked at very closely also inspect all the cylinder walls for cracks especially the rear cylinder.

spankybear

Cylinder wall looks fine, the problem we thought was the head gasket, lots of coolant in the oil, but no oil in the coolant system, pressure tested the coolant system and it held pressure. Now I'm thinking it may have damage to the piston ring.
The rings will not let coolant in the oil in anyway if the head gasket is good. There could be a chance there's a crack in the cylinder and will need to check the cylinder wall very closely. Run the piston down and use your finger and fingernail to "feel" . A crack would let coolant into the oil. How does the head look?

I would make 100% sure there is no crack before I would go any further.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks