• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is my starter bad? should i buy a used one? very confused in

Caustic

ive had this problem with my duce that is really kicking my butt ever since i first got it. Ive never even driven it because something is seriously wrong with my starting circut. Im on my 3rd set of batts because they keep frying when i try to crank it. First the starter solenoid stuck and wouldnt stop drawing current. Fried the batteries. Then i took it apart and the contacts had welded together in the solenoid, which i seperated and cleaned. Then i got new batts and now it wont crank for more than a few seconds before stopping and heating up the terminals. And this is with the injectors removed so no compression. Maybe the engine is just really hard to turn over? what could cause this? The batts are 925cca commercials from NAPA, they are hooked up right. Ive had the starter out 3 times now and taken it apart and everything. I just cant figure this out.

So to make a long story short, i think my starter is bad and plan to replace it. I found a used one for $100 about 50mi from my house. So i think im going to go for it unless you guys think that $100 is too much or have a better idea of what is wrong.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked the relay between the starter button and starter solenod? it's mounted on the pass side of the engine just below the exaust manafold. Mine quit back in 1999 and fried my starter. $100 doesen't sound bad for a starter.

Armada

Also, check all ground straps. Frayed, worn or broken ground straps can raise hell :devil: with the starting system too. (voice of experience :banghead: )

40grit

did you ever make sure the motor turns freely? just a thought, I don't remember seeing you post you turned it over by hand, it sounds like your motor is stopping your starter motor, forcing it to draw huge amounts of amps trying to turn...remember series wound DC starter motors draw whatever amps the source (batteries) are capable of providing when sitting at a standstill..it's called locked rotor torque, it goes up into the many hundreds of amps quick..

rdixiemiller

Have you taken the starter to a shop? They can check the armature with a growler, and they will check your field windings. Is the drive end bushing really loose? That will allow the armature to drag on a field coil shoe. What do the brushes look like?
Make sure the starter is bad first, then replace or repair it. Also, turn the engine over by hand with a ratchet and socket, make sure there are no internal problems.
$100 for a good starter is not bad, it would cost more than that to have a shop rebuild it properly. Plus, you now have spare parts.

Caustic

thanks for the advice, i have not tried turning the motor by hand, what was the crank nut size? 1 5/8 or 1 9/16 or something? what are some possible causes for large amounts of drag on the motor? maybe a siezed compressor, or tranny, or engine bearings? ill go take the starter to a shop and have them check it out.

rdixiemiller

There are a lot of things inside the engine that can cause excess drag. A bad cylinder sleeve, spun bearing, broken crank, etc. Put the tranny and transfer in neutral, pull the belts and turn the compressor, etc.
You may want to pull the radiator, just to make sure that you don't damage it. If the engine seems too tight, pull the fenders and grille, walk in and work. I would pull the pan first, check the crank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks