• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a good preservative or protectant to use on cables?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've started noticing some severe cracking of the cable sheath on my H161 headsets particularly below the PTT switch near the coiled spring. The cracks go all the way to the wires and I'm looking for a way to prevent this from happening to all the other wires & cables. For reference, the headsets are E & F models of 1994 manufacture.

Is there a spray or jelly or anything that could buy me some time?

jimmr

I don't know what talc is but "talcum powder" ............ I always thought plain grease would do it but i have seen somewhere grease covered 'O' rings or rubber stuff cracked anyway but the talcum powder seemed good although i was only exposed to that method a couple short years?
Silicone sure seems a viable thing but US6X4 wants something that's ez to apply and stays there a while, AND i'd guess it has to refract, reflect or block UV light? maybe something like they put on tires?

Guyfang

Staff member
Silicone grease. Thats what we used in the Army, and the units that were down range and used it right, had no problems with cables cracking at all. I think I still have a tube in the garage, if you want the MIL number.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have real good service out of this stuff sold at CROWN brand forklift co.download.jpg I keep this stuff sprayed on thick on all my winch cable on the drum and its keeps it looking new !

jimmr

all the commo shops had it. green tube, sticky clear sort of stuff, non-hardening, used for contacts and antenna joints etc. I wasn't being very specific but the author here probably wouldn't want that exact stuff as it makes a mess all the time. there may however be a ingredient such as what talcum powder has that would point to a specific product

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silicone grease. Thats what we used in the Army, and the units that were down range and used it right, had no problems with cables cracking at all. I think I still have a tube in the garage, if you want the MIL number.

I would like to get the MIL number if you don't mind digging a little.

jimmr

ok us6x4 with only a couple sips of coffee i embarked on what turned out to be a pre-coffee odysee where I found usa signal mirrors, (very nice) a pot stash relic from the 70's and some other interesting stuff but NOT that green wrinkled soft tube of silicone krap. I KNOW it's around here, you'll just have to hang till it shows up, getting the nsn off of it may prove problematic as the tube is about 2/3 gone. I know the sigbal mirror(s) nsn is gone from the wrapper like the atmosphere sucked the ink up! one finds different things when looking for certain sized stuff or some other metric.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks