• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a way to tell if paint is CARC?

chill63

It's time to repaint my M35A2. It is currently MERDC. I've got some rust areas to repair and paint chipping, etc. So I'll be doing some sanding/sand blasting to clean it up.

My question is how do I tell if the paint is CARC or not. It looks like some of the areas that have been touched up may be CARC. I've got the PPE covered, so I'm not as concerned about personal safety while doing the job. I'm more worried about the dust that settles on the ground near the area where my son may play. He's all boy, and loves to dig around in the dirt.

Is this a valid concern?

Jones

Yes, especially where your boy's safety is concerned.
Buy a cheap painter's dropcloth to catch and contain any dust and flakes. A shop-vac close at hand is a good idea too.
Whether it's CARC or not, it's not worth the gamble.

ida34

If it is Merdc then it is not carc. Most trucks painted with carc will have a stencil saying "carc" and a date. I have seen new parts put on that was carc painted but have never seen carc touch up. For instance, my deuce has a newer fender on the driver's side. It was painted with Carc in the correct pattern while the rest of my truck is the old Merdc winter pattern.

chill63

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I'll take it over to my friends shop for the heavy paint removal. It might be a little out of the way, but his setup is probably better for the heavy work. Even with the plastic down, I was worried about the wind blowing the stuff off onto the ground I was trying to protect. We should be able to contain it better over there.

GoHot229

You might check out this method of sandblasting that uses 'Soda' as in baking soda, for the removal. It works differently, in that the soda particals explode on contact with the media they are being used on, thus the abrasion of coarse sand does not pit and dig into the metal on the duce, also it dose not damage rubber or glass as sand does. Still a lot of debris to contend with in the air. But possably it will be contained at their facility, sparing yourself and family

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks