• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this the correct jack for an M1009?

aboonski

I am gatherig up some much needed parts for Ruppster up in Alaska and one of the items he really needs is a jack for his M1009. I took one from a 1989 K5 Blazer and the civilian versions of the M1009 store these under the hood on the driver's side wheel well by using a plastic retainer, a wing nut and curved piece of thick steel to hold the jack in place until needed. The bi-fold crank for this jack is stored inside the cargo area below the back seat. Does anybody have a photo of the jack and how it is stored for the M1009? I want to be sure I am sending Ruppster the right equipment for his CUCV. Thanks!!!!

Attachments

ida34

Thats the right stuff. The jack and tire iron go under the passenger's seat while the jack rod goes on the wheel well on the rear passengers side behind the spare.

aboonski

Thanks for the info! Ruppster mentioned looking under the passenger seat but said he couldn't see where the jack mounted for some reason. I guess he is missing the hardware that keeps the jack in place - which I do not have. If he just needs a jack and the crank handle, this will do the trick! I would like to see the decal that they use for the M1009 in regards to how the jack is stored and used if anyone has a photo to offer. I am hoping to obtain an M1009 sometime in the near future and want to see what I am getting into!

ida34

One of my M1009s did not have the bracket below the seat. It is just a raised square about an inch wide with one side cut out so a flat headed carriage bolt can slip in. The same type of thing should be on the rear pass wheel well for the jack handle. I will see if I can get a pic for you.

Somemedic

For FYI, might try using the jack on an axle with whatever size tire hes running. I found out that my jack didnt work one nite. Not because the tire was too big but because it was to tired and couldnt lift the axle off the ground. Just a suggestion.

ida34

Here are the pics. I was wrong about the jack handle mounting to the rear wheel house. It actual mounts to the cover for the filler neck. I hope these pics work out ok. I am in the process of replacing my floor pans so the seats are out.

Attachments

aboonski

Photos of jack use and placement

I just looked at my jack instructions behind the seat of my M1008A1 and the decal looks like new. I also realized that instructions for several of the CUCVs were all in one so here are a few photos of the decal. I printed out these photos for inclusion in a loose leaf binder that I carry with me in the truck. Some of the hold-down parts are missing for my CUCV and probably are missing with a lot of the military vehicles that you buy from GL or private individuals. My guess is, the first time the jack is used by a G.I. is the last time it was stowed properly as it came from the factory.

Attachments

Mike_Pop

RE: Photos of jack use and placement

Ford trucks used to store the jack under the hood near the passenger fender. They would put the handle just in front of the radiator. It was nice not having it bounce around in the cab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks