• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this the wrong starter or Bendix?

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M151A1: Is this the wrong starter or Bendix?

Hi All:

This Bendix stays engaged (makes ratcheting noise when turning the engine over by hand), does not seem stuck, and I've never seen one like it. It came out of the vehicle, not loose.

IMG_1267_web.jpg Ratcheting faces:IMG_1267_web_2.jpg

Is it the wrong one for my M151A1? If not, what am I missing here?

THANKS for any help.

-Ken

Last edited:

nattieleather

I'm going from memory here, but it looks like the right one to me. Does it not engage when you try to start the it? Is it causing any other issues besides making noise when turning the motor by hand?

cpf240

Maybe it is like the ones on the old Ford tractors, where the turning of the flywheel once the engine starts is needed to get it to retract? Those can't be retracted easily by hand once in the extended position. Saw a YT video where they used a wire wheel on a grinder to get it to spin fast enough to retract.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe it is like the ones on the old Ford tractors, where the turning of the flywheel once the engine starts is needed to get it to retract? Those can't be retracted easily by hand once in the extended position. Saw a YT video where they used a wire wheel on a grinder to get it to spin fast enough to retract.
Thanks! Looked on YouTube for a few minutes, couldn't find it. Went out into the garage but couldn't get it to retract but I was probably doing it wrong.

HOWEVER:

From TM 9-2320-218-34-1, page 6-7, "CAUTION: If pinion and barrel assembly are accidentally rotated to fully-extended locked position screw shaft, do not attempt to force it in reverse direction. It can be installed as-is, and will be released when engine turns at proper speed to demesh detent pin in pinion."

So, as always REFER TO THE DANG TM

Sorry guys, wasted your time.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: I cranked the engine over with the spark plugs removed until oil started coming out of the rocker arms; then I put the plugs back in and ran it. The Bendix reset as advertised.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks