• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is turbo mod worth it?

Gunfighter1

Id go with the turbo. I did the 6.5 GM-8 turbo on my 6.2 and it is a world of difference. It was a dog before and took all day to get up to speed. Its no powerhouse like a cummins or duramax can be but its a night and day difference than with a NA motor. I found all my parts on ebay and the swap was pretty stright forward. The hardest thing is probaly the oil return line for the turbo. Mine goes into the oil pan because i didnt want to look for the banks return that goes into the mechanical pump, it works fine. It doesnt get more than 10psi unless im in 3rd gear at 65-70 than it might get up to 12 but thats with the motor topped out. If you can scrounge the parts for cheap youll be happy with the performace differnce.

av8rnik

Gunfighter1, do you have a picture of the oil return going into the oil pan? When you installed the fitting in the oil pan, did you pull the pan to do it? Also, did you use the stock oil feed line?

Last edited:

brazengoat06

Im curious what the OP elevation is? I can honestly say my m1009 and m1010 do pretty well considering, unless im pulling a trailer that is and I would totally agree. I have never driven in any elevation over about 900ft so I cant chime in on that so was curious.

Also what 6.5 parts transfer to the 6.2? Or should I say what doesn't?

Ilikemtb999

Im curious what the OP elevation is? I can honestly say my m1009 and m1010 do pretty well considering, unless im pulling a trailer that is and I would totally agree. I have never driven in any elevation over about 900ft so I cant chime in on that so was curious.

Also what 6.5 parts transfer to the 6.2? Or should I say what doesn't?
I can't speak for the OP (especially because it was 3 years ago) but here at 6,000ft my m1009 was a complete dog (so much worse than at near sea level) and could barely maintain 20mph up an incline above 8,000ft (but did fine on trails in 4lo above 8,000ft because it crawls along). Now with the 6.5 turbo it at least can maintain the speed limits at 6,000ft.

I used the passenger exhaust manifold, turbo, oil drain and upper and lower intake manifold. Everything else was aftermarket including the 6.5 downpipe/crossover I hacked up and re welded to work.

red

depending on your use there are 3 turbos that work very well on the 6.2 and 6.5 engines (all parts interchange, 1981 heads have a unique glowplug).
HX35-great for unloaded around town, little restrictive at high rpm but better than any stock turbo from a 6.5.
HX40-takes a few rpm's to spool up, but does a great job with 1800+rpm
ATT-turbo from a mitsubishi medium duty diesel. High volume of air at lower pressure. Perfect for towing.

Gunfighter1

Gunfighter1, do you have a picture of the oil return going into the oil pan? When you installed the fitting in the oil pan, did you pull the pan to do it? Also, did you use the stock oil feed line?
I do not but can take some pics of my setup for you in a bit. I welded a return spout to the oil pan so yeah i did have to drop the pan to do it. My oil feed line i put a T fitting from the oil pressure sensor and ran a stainless steel line from that to the turbo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks