• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Isuzu C240 engine

tobyS

Isuzu C240.... a nice industrial engine (generator take outs I believe) that can be used in fork trucks, marine and small trucks. What a great little engine, around 38 hp. I bought one and hope to use it for a small sawmill.

I can't find much on it in the SS search, except as a potential re-power in a CJ and so I thought there could be a thread where other uses and adaptations are explored.

First off, mine has no governor, but does have the injector pump. That's an issue, given the cost of a new VS governor can be way more than the cost of the engine.

I remembered that a trailer I use for storage still had the refer unit and that it was a small four cylinder diesel. It's a Thermo-king, but looks like the C240 Isuzu. Mine seems to have TK in the block and they just put C240 on the other, otherwise it appears just a bit of age separates them.

It has a Kiki governor and injector pump. Both pumps and the portion of the governor that is on the engine seem to be the same (Bosch design) and thus the governor appears that it will fit/change over. I'll post some pictures and go into it further as I go along

Also there is the issue of the power end and I was eyeing the huge oil pan on the Therm-king (TK). The TK runs a compressor directly and has a generator ran by 2 belts off the bottom. Thus the bell housing is different but it appears will bolt right to the back of the C240. I'll post pictures of this too and hope that others will add C240 stuff (from generators) to it.

Anybody else buy one of these?

tobyS

I've found the governors are an issue, basically the only major component that is not included other than the power end. Perhaps someone has already worked this out, as I'm going through a trial and error period. I have the Thermal-king unit with a governor and have now purchased 2 more governors. One, from an Isuzu (small) truck seems to have a lot of bells and whistles. The other is just like the TK governor, but NOS.

Isuzu pump 2.jpgIsuzu C240.jpgIsuzu pump 1.jpg100_3811.jpg100_3812.jpg

daytonatrbo

That engine is used extensively in the ThermoKing reefer units.

An automotive adaptation (C223) was also used in the Isuzu Pup and Chevy luv trucks from the 80's. The differences are just enough that the reefer engines are a pain to mount in a truck, but there are many common parts between them.

The reefer engines are also cam'd to run at a constant power output. The automotive engines are cam'd for acceleration and have a higher net power output, but are not rated for continuous running.

In the Isuzu community there is a gentleman, Jerry Lemond, who is an encyclopedia of all things Isuzu and knows a lot about those engines.

Isuzu also made a wonderful 2.8L diesel engine that was used in the small SUVs over seas,and also in small bobcat type loaders in this country.

Last edited:

tobyS

Have you considered utilizing a universal engine control, such as:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-...733401?hash=item3f35b10599:g:1VwAAOxyxnJR7Nt9

Besides the CPU, you need a few sensors, which the engine probably already has, and an actuator to operate the IP.

I would go this route if finding the specific engine parts are over more than $500.

Rick
Yes, I'd like to explore the electronics option more. Isn't that what the engines originally have (if they come from generators)?

What would one use for the IP actuator? Only one C240 I've seen had an actuator and it was a GL picture...a lot different than the governors I have.

Is there an electronic readout/tach? I could sync it with the bandsaw speed to maintain constant speed at the saw, perhaps.

I found a NOS governor for $250 and a local shop can set it up. My machine may need a second engine for the aux hydraulics, so I* do want to know more about the electronic controls.

tobyS

That engine is used extensively in the ThermoKing reefer units.

An automotive adaptation (C223) was also used in the Isuzu Pup and Chevy luv trucks from the 80's. The differences are just enough that the reefer engines are a pain to mount in a truck, but there are many common parts between them.

The reefer engines are also cam'd to run at a constant power output. The automotive engines are cam'd for acceleration and have a higher net power output, but are not rated for continuous running.

In the Isuzu community there is a gentleman, Jerry Lemond, who is an encyclopedia of all things Isuzu and knows a lot about those engines.

Isuzu also made a wonderful 2.8L diesel engine that was used in the small SUVs over seas,and also in small bobcat type loaders in this country.
I suppose these have about the same cam. While I don't know, I think they are from generators, so would be (relatively) constant speed.

This engine would seem to be a perfect pony engine for a wrecker truck.

papacracker

I've been looking for a small diesel to use in a small SUV or truck. If these these little C240 engines are as reliable and durable as the 4BD1T that is in my Hitachi EX120-3 Excavator, it might be the perfect fit. I have a M151A2 and enough suspension components to build about 6 more of them and with 2200# (or less if I build a tube chassis), I think this would be adequate power. I am very interested in your input and any information you have about these engines. Dave

tobyS

I've been looking for a small diesel to use in a small SUV or truck. If these these little C240 engines are as reliable and durable as the 4BD1T that is in my Hitachi EX120-3 Excavator, it might be the perfect fit. I have a M151A2 and enough suspension components to build about 6 more of them and with 2200# (or less if I build a tube chassis), I think this would be adequate power. I am very interested in your input and any information you have about these engines. Dave

I don't think this engine is big enough. I think it is about 38 hp and from what I understand, the cam is really for a more constant speed.

I have found Hays coupling and mount plate for my Rexroth hydraulic pump. It has an SAE 10 size flywheel, SAE size 4 bell-housing and in my case now, an SAE C for a hydraulic pump. I understand that Isuzu Pup and some Chevy Luv's used a similar engine. If you would happen to want to try it, I have a governor that has lots of bells and whistles, that is supposed to work on the variable speed (auto) engines.

Years back, I bought 23 M151's that were required to de-mil. I think they had a 4 cylinder Ford industrial engine, I'm guessing about 50-60 hp. I sold the entire package, engine, tranny and transfer cases, so sorry, don't still have any

tobyS

Yea, I expect these were the takeouts for re-powers. I think a bunch have hardly been used. The flywheels have a rust pattern from what is probably just sitting and occasionally high humidity weather when they are in a cold building and get lots of condensation.

I mated a variable displacement piston pump to it and (after going to Findlay) will have a hydraulic motor to turn a bandsaw sawmill. It's a one-direction hydrostatic drive now with a band speed of 90 miles/hour.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks