• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It all started with an IronPlanetPurchase

6X6DT466ECrew

View attachment 813377
At 55 I’ve been a life long off road, over the road and heavy hauling fan and enthusiast since visiting a strip mining operation in Ohio in the mid 70’s to witness The Gem of Egypt dragline shovel in action.

I was taught mechanics by one grandfather and ‘building with my hands’ by the other grandfather. Built a lot of go fast cars but never the usual platforms. Had to be different. Unsuspecting. Unique.

My schooling took me to architecture and design but with a camera always in my hand I found myself drawn to raw steel, dirt, soil, rocks and water. This morphed to pointing my lens at heavy construction, industrial demolition and all the ‘heavy wrecking apparatus’ and attachments: cranes, excavators, grapples, shears, heavy haul over the road trucking and all the personalities of builders, wreckers and burners. Spent 7 years photographing The Big Dig in Boston.
Then I discovered Stewart&Stevenson, Unimog, AmGeneral, 6x6, 8x8.

About a year ago I started to gather parts and pieces to build my own version of what’s ‘out there’ , but on a budget. It all started with a visit to Iron Planet where I procured a 1997 International 4600 Crew Cab for $750. Then I stumbled upon a 5 ton 6x6 Frame with axles on FB Marketplace which I ‘traded’ for all my mothballed muscle car parts. Bought a DT466E with an Allison Automatic with all wiring, computers and gauges for $2500, also on FB Marketplace. Then I returned to Iron Planet for a matching set of wheels and tires as well as an MRAP spare tire carrier.

Thanks for the add. It been a long time since I’ve been on a forum. Looking forward to getting to know what I’ve gotten myself into.

Last edited:

6X6DT466ECrew

So due to other projects and a lot of rain and the uncertainty of the world, I'm way behind schedule.
Been building a base for a 20 x 13 x 12 Garage in a Box from Northern Tool and just got the frame in place when we were hit with the remnants of Hurricane Zeta. All my wood from the barn I dismantled this fall is going in there, which will free up a lot of space in my driveway.
The plan is to pour a 10 ' x 10 ' concrete pad in the driveway and get the rear box and the 6x6 chassis, with the cab already on it to my house.
I'm debating whether I want to connect two more Garage in Box kits and join them together OR stick building a frame around the truck and wrapping it in the white boat wrap and heat shrinking it. A guy in my town has his commercial fishing boat in his driveway with a 20 ft wide by 60 ft long by 35 ft high temporary enclosure (its been there now for 3 months) built out of 2x4x10's and shrink wrapped.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks